Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Me, Neil Gaiman & a Hammock


Well, hello all!  Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the lovely people over at the Broke and the Bookish.  This week we are discussing our top books on our TBR lists this summer!

Unfortunately, I won't be at the beach this summer, nor am I a 'beach read' kind of girl, but I still have my books to read marked!

Stardust by Neil Gaiman - I've been a fan of Neil Gaiman's work ever since I got way into comic books in junior high and discovered Sandman (although I really was more of an X-titles girl).  Gaiman came to Pittsburgh over a year ago, and I got this beautiful anniversary copy of Stardust, which he was lovely enough to sign, too!

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - I was pregnant when I was there,
and as any good bibliophile does, I picked up a copy for my soon-to-be-born son.  When I told Mr. Gaiman who it was for, he looked at me funny and said, "You know, I normally put the person's name I'm inscribing it to in a headstone.  Somehow that doesn't seem appropriate as he is not here, yet. "  HAHAHAHA!!!  Guess he was kind of right!  He did wish my son pleasant slumber, though: 

Night Beach by Kirsty Eagar - yeah, I know, right?  I have no excuse.  This pretty has been on my shelf FOREVER.  In my defense, I stopped blogging shortly after getting this, then got pregnant and then was reading only about baby products, sleep training and how french kids eat everything and are better behaved than U.S. kids.  Considering how much I LOVED Raw Blue and Saltwater Vampires, I have my fingers crossed for this one.


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - another I've had on my
shelf for too long and have heard good things about.  I also think I have the sequel somewhere. . . .  I'm not usually into book covers since they tend to get faddish in YA, but that one really is well-designed.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo - I borrowed and loved The Tale of Despereaux so much that I went out and bought my own hardback copy of it and this one, too.  Never quite managed to get around to reading it, but I'm really looking forward to escaping to my kiddie dreamscape.

White Cat by Holly Black - people SWEAR by this book.  I tried it
once a few years back, but didn't get far.  I think I was just burned out, but I've always wanted to try again and have faithfully kept my copy (it's signed, too - I won it from Midnyte Reader several years back).

Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Willaims - I got this one from a lovely blogging acquaintance as a thank you for a book tour I organized.  It was so unexpected, and I was very touched that she did that, especially since she knew how much I love Aussie YA.  I started this recently on a family trip - loved what I read so far, but was utterly exhausted at the end of the trip and need to pick it back up.


Semi-Charmed Life by Nora Zelevansky -  Nora came to Pittsburgh over a year ago for a
program and signing.  I went with my chapter of the FYA book club and had a wonderful time talking with her.  If I remember correctly, this one is a bit satirical, about a very young woman who ghost writes a celebrity's blog - sounds like it's going to be a fun, tongue-in-cheek read to me!

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski - yet another that's been on my unread shelf for far too long!  Also heard fun things about it and look forward to the shenanigans!

That's it for me!  What do you think?  Can't wait to hear about yours!

17 comments:

  1. White Cat is SO good! They audio is supposed to be even better if you are into those. I also really liked the Mlynowski book. It was cute.

    AND YES YES YES you need to read Anna and the French Kiss. Like do it IMMEDIATELY! It is AMAZING and I'm not kidding. It will seriously just make you feel good. Stephanie rocks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep hearing! Okay, I'll bow down to peer pressure ;)

      Delete
  2. White Cat is soooo good! I want to finish the series this summer. If you love Neil Gaiman, you might be interested in the new book The Art of Neil Gaiman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be very interested in that - thanks for the rec!

      Delete
  3. I hope you'll enjoy your books! I adore Neil Gaiman's books, and that's fun, the way he signs The Graveyard Book, I didn't know that, then again, I've never met him. And definitely give another try to White Cat, it's definitely diiferent, but worth it, I love the trilogy :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he just does it for the The Graveyard Book, but it is fun, isn't it? My son's doesn't have it, thought, of course.

      Delete
  4. Neil Gaiman is an amazing writer. I read Stardust a little while ago now and loved it. It is the perfect blend of fairytale and fantasy, but for adults. A difficult thing to achieve in book form. I;ve not read The Graveyard Book, my brother has it and it is a part of a number of books I plan to steal off his shelf at some point.

    As for the rest, a couple of these are on my TBR shelf, but I've not heard of others, there are definitely a few new books being added to my TBR shelf today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of funny, but in his talk, he Stardust was actually okay for kids, too, but then he compared it to The Ocean At the End Of the Lane, and said that was definitely not for kids. It was an amazing night!

      Delete
  5. Haha, love that story about Neil Gaiman! Totally jealous that you got to meet him ;P I haven't read The Graveyard Book yet but I do have it in my collection. I read and enjoyed his book Neverwhere, though...sort of strange and bizarre but good all the same!

    My Top Ten Tuesday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great night! Haven't read that one yet, but I want to read all of his stuff.

      Delete
  6. I went to Neil Gaiman's event in Lexington last year. I got my anniversary edition of Stardust signed too!

    This is the first time I've seen this Kate DiCamillo book. I find myself a little bit in love with the cover. Especially that font.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, the cover is adorable and sad and adventurous and apprehensive all at the same time!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I absolutely LOVED The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. Enjoy it - it's a great one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Add me as another one who swears by White Cat, I found it entertaining and the amoral family dynamic refreshingly different :). I love that story about Neil Gaiman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like Neil Gaiman and both of those books were great - although I did like The Graveyard Book better than Stardust. Edward Tulane is quite wonderful as well. In my book, Kate DiCamillo can do no wrong. Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Alex @ The Book Banner

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love The Graveyard Book! It's a beautifully written story.

    Hope you LOVE Beatle Meets Destiny. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a fellow Kirsty Eager fan, I really enjoyed Night Beach! It was so far out there and creepy and wow! Let me know when you read it because I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete