Saturday, December 10, 2011

In My Mailbox (25) + Survey Request!


Hello All!  I know I've been out lately, but please know that I will be retuning to regularly scheduled posts starting the last week of December.  Had a lot of things going on this Fall, and I decided to take a hiatus in order to give priority to them.  Stay tuned - I have reviews coming your way on some awesome Aussie titles, Jenny Downham and more!

Please also consider taking a moment to take my SUPER quick survey at the bottom of this post - it'll help me run a better blog for you!

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme started by The Story Siren with inspiration from Pop Culture Junkie.

This is a great event where we share all the great books we've picked up to read for the week! Please join us in getting to know one another and sharing great reads!  Here's what I got this week . . .

For Review

From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant
by Alex Gilvarry
(thank you, Penguin/Vikng)

One of the things I realized during my hiatus is that I miss reading a variety of different genres and groups of books.  While my blog will still focus on young adult fiction, I will also be sharing my reactions to different genres of adult fiction, nonfiction and whatever else catches my interest.  To that end, I am looking forward to reading this work by a debut author.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

"High fashion and homeland security clash in a masterful debut.

Boyet Hernandez is a small man with a big American dream when he arrives in New York in 2002, fresh out of design school in Manila. With dubious financing and visions of Fashion Week runways, he sets up shop in a Brooklyn toothpick factory, pursuing his goals with monkish devotion (distractions of a voluptuous undergrad not withstanding). But mere weeks after a high-end retail order promises to catapult his (B)oy label to the big time, there's a knock on the door in the middle of the night: the flamboyant ex-Catholic Boyet is brought to Gitmo, handed a Koran, and locked away indefinitely on suspicion of being linked to a terrorist plot. Now, from his 6' x 8' cell, Boy prepares for the trial of his life with this intimate confession, even as his belief in American justice begins to erode.

With a nod to Junot Diaz and a wink to Gary Shteyngart, Alex Gilvarry's first novel explores some of the most serious issues of our time with dark, eviscerating wit."



Please take the time to fill out my survey on how to make a better blog for you:


ZQ3UKNCA9D28

8 comments:

  1. Great set! I've never heard of the Gilvarry book. Sounds good.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks exactly like my kind of book. I'm Filipino - now based in Singapore for a little over three years. I should definitely check out this book.

    Here's my IMM:
    http://gatheringbooks.wordpress.com/2011/12/11/imm-book-bargains-in-singapore/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of it but hope you enjoy it! Happy Reading!

    Visit My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memoirs sounds interesting!

    I did take the survey. Yay!

    Also, I think it's fun to un-niche. I know that I burn out really quickly if I read just one genre or one age group, so I try to read a variety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mocha - thanks! I just found you blog through your comment - new follow there - it looks great!

    @Alison - I'll let you know how it is :)

    @Myra - And I just found your blog, as well - LOVE your taste!

    @Jennifer - thanks for stopping by!

    @April - Thanks for doing that, April! I appreciate it! Yeah, I love YA, but there is SO much of it now that I feel overwhelmed at times, and sometimes, underwhelmed. There are some amazing books out there, but I find I am getting pickier with the writing, and I also miss some backlist stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm.. never heard of that book, but it sounds like something I'd read in a cultural studies lit class.

    I like that you'll be reviewing different types of genres here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this book looks so different. I've never heard of it before, but the cover is interesting.

    Have an amazing reading week! And good luck to you on getting back on track :)

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete