Thursday, September 15, 2011

Into the Past with "Frost" Author Marianna Baer


Hey Everyone!  I am always happy to host an author, and today we have Marianna Baer, author of Frost, joining us to talk a bit about what she' read throughout the years!  Due to a USPS glitch, I wasn't able to read Frost, but the synopsis makes it sound fabulous, doesn't it?

Frost 
by Marianna Baer (website)
Released on 09.13.2011
400 pages
Publisher:  Balzer & Bray, an imprint of HarperCollins (website)


Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school begins with a shock: Frost House, her cozy dorm of close friends, has been assigned an unexpected roommate: confrontational, eccentric Celeste Lazar. But while Leena’s anxiety about a threat to her sanctuary proves valid, it becomes less and less clear whether the threat lies with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind, or within the very nature of Frost House itself. Mysterious happenings in the dorm, an intense triangle between Leena, Celeste, and Celeste’s brother, and the reawakening of childhood fears, all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. Frost is the story of a haunting. As to whether the demons are supernatural or psychological . . . well, which answer would let you sleep at night? (from GoodReads)


And here we go into the past with Marianna!


Respect thy elders.
Age 5:
My mother read to me and my sister every night when we were little, and the books I remember loving the most from that time are the Little House on the Prairie
 books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I hate to admit that my favorite book in the series was the one where Mary went blind from scarlet fever. A sucker for tragedy even then, I guess!


Age 11:
So many to choose from! One that stands out -- considering the type of book I’m writing now -- is Jane Emily by Patricia Clapp. It’s the most terrifying ghost story, but also has extremely appealing characters, romance, and dark family secrets. I highly recommend it. And I can’t not mention Judy Blume! I loved everything by Blume, especially Then Again Maybe I Won’tAre You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, and Deenie. I practically memorized those books. (I’ll forever be on the lookout for a nightgown like the one Deenie’s friends gave her, that could sort of change color from pink to purple.)


Age 16:
Hmm… if we’re talking about pure reading enjoyment, I’d probably choose Jane Eyre. (Or, to be honest, Scruples by Judith Krantz.) But reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov blew my mind. I’d never read a book that was so stylistically complex; it completely expanded my idea of what a novel could be. And I loved how subversive it felt to be reading it for English class. I remember reading this one particular passage and thinking, “Wait a minute. Is he really saying what I think he’s saying??”




Age 20:
I’m going to cheat a little bit here and skip forward a couple of years to when I was out of college and pick The Secret History by Donna Tartt. This book had it all for me – murder, relationship drama, twisted characters, secrets. I’d love to read it again for the first time and am jealous of readers who still have it ahead of them!


Okay, so Marianna just added about three or four books to my TBR list!  I want to thank her for joining us today, and I look forward to reading Frost!  To check out other stops in the {Teen} Book Scene tour, go here!

7 comments:

  1. OMG, I tried reading "Lolita" in college and got about halfway through. At first it was easy to overcome the pedophile aspect in the first half but I couldn't stomach it anymore. *Shudders* Though I what happens, thanks to sparknotes, I'm not planning on going back and reading it. I wonder how Nabokov could stand writing a character like Humphrey and if it didn't effect him at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trip down memory lane, especially ones that involve books! I'm not interested in learning more about the stylist approach in Lolita, a book I have yet to read. I wanna know what he said. :)

    Thanks for the guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to say I remember reading the Little House on the Prairie books by myself. I have no idea what age I was. I read all the Nancy Drew books, the Happy Hollisters, the Bobsey Twins. I don't recall my parents reading to me. I started reading in first grade and never looked back. Now, I might have read to my older sister, she wasn't much for reading!

    And I loved Judy Blume but I don't remember her books. I read them all, but I just don't remember them. One book I read that stuck with me from seventh grade was a book called Dom and Va about two people from prehistoric tribes, one a girl from a farming, hunter gatherer peaceful tribe and one a boy from a meat eating hunting violent tribe. His tribe conquers her tribe and she becomes his and its about how they learn to coexist, they don't speak the same language, have the same ways of living, surviving, he's violent, rough she's gentle kind. It's very interesting. I still have a copy. Then I read gothic romances and Michael Crichton. It was all classics in high school. I loved The Scarlet Letter and Edgar Allan Poe's stories. I realize you didn't ask all that but it brought back memories. Great post Linds and Marianna!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was addicted to Judy Blume books too and yes, I remember that nightgown! I never heard of Jane Emily, but I am going to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Judy Blume as well. I tried Lolita once but even though it is one of those books I was reading on the DL because it was supposed to be so racy, I thought it was kind of boring. Uh oh!

    Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Frost. Eerie stuff AND boarding schools equals total entertainment in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same reaction to Lolita when I first read it at that age. And, scarily enough, I actually loved it. Yes, I was deeply disturbed by the content, but the language was so lyrically and the book written so beautifully that I was--and still am--torn on whether I should love this book or be squicked by it.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the cover! It looks amazing! The book sounds very intense! Great choice! Thank you for sharing!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete