Saturday, August 6, 2011

'This or That' with Kelly from "Clean" by Amy Reed

KELLY, one of the main characters in CLEAN by Amy Reed, is in rehab to her alcoholism and cocaine addiction. She’s  a party girl and used to getting attention from boys, but there’s a lot more under the surface that she never lets anyone see.

Beach or Mountains? Beach. Anything where I get to where a bikini and get a tan.

Rain or Snow? Neither! Believe me, I get enough rain living in Seattle. If I had to choose, I guess I’d say snow because at least it’s a little less depressing.

Brownie Sundae or Creme Brulee?
 Crème Brulee. It sounds fancier.

Creme Brulee is amazing, Kelly.  I'll buy you a plate once you complete rehab - promise.


Sunlight or Moonlight? 
Sunlight. I like day better than night. It seems safer somehow. I can see things more clearly.

Audrey or Marilyn? Marilyn. She was misunderstood, you know? Everyone thought she was just this slutty bimbo, but she was actually really smart and read a lot of books. Except no one wanted to see her that way so she just kept pretending she was dumb to make them happy. That’s what killed her. That’s why she was an addict. Because the real her was trapped behind all that beauty.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them. They were obviously loving somebody I wasn't. When they found this out, they would blame me for disillusioning them and fooling them."
-from On Being Blonde : Wit and Wisdom from the World's Most Infamous Blondes (2004) by Paula Munier

Pride and Prejudice: Hollywood or the BBC version? Neither. I hate all those old-fashioned stories with the uptight women who are always fainting and secretly lusting after some guy they can’t have. That’s one of those books, right?  ***me to Kelly*** No ma'am!  Eliza B. got her man!  And the respect - no fainting my girl in P&P!

Beatles or the Stones? Beatles. They had prettier songs.






Color or B&W? Color. The brighter, the better.

Fiction or Nonfiction? Fiction. I like to get lost when I read, get taken away to somewhere new. Why would I want to be reminded of reality?

Character or Plot? Character. If I don’t care about someone, what’s the point in reading about them?

Superhero Powers: the ability to turn back time or to see the future? Turn back time. No question about it. God, there are so many things I wish I could do over.

The Past: Regretful Mistakes or Lessons Learned? I would have said Regretful Mistakes if you asked me any time before. But now, I don’t know, I think I’m starting to think about things a little differently, maybe not beat myself up so much about things. So I’ll say I’d like to think about the past as Lessons Learned—maybe I’m not there just yet, but I hope to be someday.



5 comments:

  1. Love it! But she does need to be educated about P&P. You must sit down with her and watch it with her. She'll see the error of her ways! Love the insight to the character and great questions.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beatles all the way! I also liked what Amy said about Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this type of interview! I am with you about Fiction or Non-Fiction. I don't want to read reality I want to escape :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love that quote by Marilyn. Such a shame she felt she couldn't be her true self.

    Fun interview. Though I'd say I'm a moonlight gal, I love me some good fiction, characters and color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great:) And I listened to Blackbird like four times in a row. Such a great song. And I loved the "Character or Plot" answer--so true.

    ReplyDelete