Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lit News To Note 06.21.2011

EXCELLENT discussion at YAtopia: "Violence vs Sex in YA".

Um, okay, I'd try it, I think.  From GalleyCat: "50 Cent Inks Deal for YA Book on Bullying". And so the lion will teach the lambs. The book will be published in January by Razorbill (a Penguin imprint, same publisher of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher).  Wonder what the cover will look like?



Awesome news from YALSA via the PR WebWire: "YALSA launches Network for Research on Libraries and Teens".

The Library Journal, "Announces 2011 Reviewers of the Year".

NPR needs opinions!  "Best Science Fiction, Fantasy Books? You Tell Us".

The history geek in me is drooling.  Big time. "The British Library and Google too make 250,000 books available to all".
The British Library and Google to make 250,000 books available to all

Good op-ed piece from The Hindu: "Talking Movies: A very long story, indeed".  The reporter states her opinion on Hollywood's selling techniques, and frequently uses the Harry Potter movies as an example.

Very nice review from The Salisbury Post for the recently released book by Jenny Hubbard, "Teen truths in 'Paper Covers Rock".  I'm really looking forward to reading this one myself.

From The Times Union, "Turning a teen boy into a bookworm".  Features the Guys Lit Wire!

From The Philadelphia Inquirer: "Smart, funny, moving teen tales".

via Publishers Weekly:

"Spotlights on five children's and YA authors and one illustrator who made notable debuts this spring"  Veronica Roth (Divergent) and Jenny Hubbard (Paper Covers Rock) both are featured.

Wow - really love the clever marketing scheme for Pottermore.com!  If you haven't heard about the coordinates and letters just yet, be sure to check this out: " More Harry Potter? Rowling Reveals Pottermore.com". 

Ahhhh, I completely remember reading Wind in the Willows for language arts class in 6th grade!  "'Wind in the Willows' Sequel Due in 2012". 


via Shelf Awareness:

On the Texas/Amazon debacle from The American-Statesman: "Amazon, state talk deal: 5,000 jobs in exchange for exemption on collecting sales tax".

Haha, this is kind of funny.  From Flavorwire: "The 30 Harshest Author-on-Author Insults In History".  #27 is a dis on J.K. Rowling, though - grrrrrrr.  Them's fightin' words.

REALLY rad idea from The Guardian: "Join the Independent Booksellers' Week celebrations: Please help us raise a glass – and a flag – for the UK's best literary retailers with our Twitter bookshopping map and Flickr browsers' gallery".  Can we do this for the U.S., Canada and Australia?

Last, but never, ever least, this wonderful video from a host of authors and illustrators:




9 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up all these articles! I'm so surprised that 50 Cent is writing a book, but at least it's about something important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blahahahaha! Oh yes, give me wisdom, Dear Lion.

    I saw the It Gets Better thing yesterday and cried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I added several book to my tbr pile. Just like I always do... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. @YA Book Queen - no problem! It's a regular post here, so stop back anytime! I am an infojunkie!

    @Missie - It warmed my heart, you know (because it does get better)!

    @Savy - glad to feed the need :)

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is with celebrities writing books?! No thank you.

    Also I think I am the only person alive who doesn't care what Pottermore is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? Can just anyone write a book these days? Geez. Ok, maybe there's a message there to be read, but I'd rather read it from someone with true integrity, in my humble opinion haha

    Love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great lit news post. There are few articles that I need to check out like that YAtopia discussion :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Logan - hehehehe, I actually want to see what Fiddy comes up with. It's the same reason why I watch Real Housewives of the OC.

    @Melissa Apparently so! I plan on having some fun with this one, though - stay tuned.

    @Nic - happy reading!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you gift baskets of love for these posts you do! Linds = Amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete