Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lit News To Note 06.15.2011

General 'This & That' News

Really nice local radio piece out KCUR Kansas City, MO on book selling wars.  Very good audio.  (thanks to Shelf Awareness).

Um, some rather discouraging statements for bookstore owners were made the Australian Minsiter for Small Business.  From the Canberra Times: "Minister predicts demise of bookstores", (thanks to Shelf Awareness).

GREAT article about a veteran author writing his first YA novel.  From The Walrus: "Brother Grim:In his new young adult novel, Idaho Winter, Tony Burgess unleashes his trademark gore and gross-out humour on the kids".  I cringe slightly at the word 'kids', but here is an excerpt from the article, "In June, he published what might be his most surreal book yet: Idaho Winter, about a tormented boy who takes control of his surrounding world after learning he’s a character in a book."  Never read anything by him, but the premise has me intrigued.

Rather cool article from The Guardian that asks an interesting question: "Writing for a living: a joy or a chore?".

Okay, okay, I know that that #YAsaves! thing is a bit over, but I really liked these three posts:


Awards

The winners for the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award have been announced:
  • General Fictions Winner: East of Denver by Gregory Hill
  • Young Adult Fiction Winner: Spookygirl by Jill Baguchinsky




The winners for the 2011 Boston Globe–Horn Book Awards have been announced:
  • Fiction:Blink & Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones
  • Nonfiction:The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism, & Treachery by Steve Sheinkin
  • Picture Book:Pocketful of Posies: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes by Salley Mavor






The winners for the 2011 Red House Chidren's Book Award (UK) have been announced:
  • Overall Winner: Shadow by Michael Morpurgo
  • Young Childrens: Yuck!  That's Not a Monster! by Angela McAllister & Alison Edgson
  •  Older Readers: TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow 

The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators announced the winners of the first ever
Crystal Kite Member Choice Awards.  Check out the winners and their beautiful covers here.

8 comments:

  1. I just read that article from Australian Minster of Small business. I really hope that doesn't happen. I personally like to buy my books from a variety of places not just online.

    Great literary round up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I admit to not knowing any of the books listed in your post as award winners and as I'm out of the picture book buying stage I don't even look at them anymore but the covers are beautiful.

    Thanks for the stories Linds!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nic - I know! I read that and thought, "Sheesh. Way to encourage the little guys." Sometimes, it's such a surprise to realize that the thing we love to do is actually a business. It bugs me, but then remind myself that everyone has to make a living somehow. I just hate what the current market is doing to the little guy.

    @Heather - Haha, I'm right there with you. I debated on including some of them, but then I figure there are readers out there with small kids and certainly, there are those who read MG as well YA.

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, I spent my whole morning following these links and reading the articles, and now I'm super behind on blog hopping/commenting. *sighs*

    Thanks a lot Linds! You know I can't resist.

    LOL

    So book awards are always for titles released the year before? I'm still trying to figure them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea about books get awards! Thats cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Blink & Caution -- so glad it won! http://annettesbookspot.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-review-blink-caution-by-tim-wynne.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one I heard of out of the listed award books is "Blink and Caution" which I've heard from other librarians is really good. I hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww! Thanks for the shout out Linds!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete