Sunday, June 19, 2011

In My Mailbox (22)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme started by The Story Siren with inspiration from Pop Culture Junkie.

This is a great event where we share all the great books we've picked up to read for the week! Please join us in getting to know one another and sharing great reads!  Here's what I got this week . . .

Torn (Torn Trilogy #1)
by Erica O'Rourke
Courtesy of Kensington Pub/KTeen for blog tour (thank you!)

Synopsis from GoodReads

Everyone has secrets. Even best friends.

Swirling black descends like ravens, large enough to block the glow of the streetlights. A dull roar starts like a train on the 'L', a far-away rumbling that grows louder as it pulls closer, until it's directly overhead and you feel it in your chest, except this doesn't pass you by. Verity, white-faced and eyes blazing, shouts through the din, "Run, Mo!"

Mo Fitzgerald knows about secrets. But when she witnesses her best friend's murder, she discovers Verity was hiding things she never could have guessed. To find the answers she needs and the vengeance she craves, Mo—quiet, ordinary, unmagical Mo—will have to enter a world of raw magic and shifting alliances. And she'll have to choose between two very different, equally dangerous guys—protective, duty-bound Colin and brash, mysterious Luc. One wants to save her, one wants to claim her. Which would you choose?

"Who doesn't love a character torn between two dangerous worlds and two risky guys? The only thing safe about this book is how good it is." —Lee Nichols, author of Deception, A Haunting Emma Novel

"Dark, exciting and totally addictive! Just. . .wow!" -Kristi Cook, author of Haven


by Cath Crowely

Synopsis from GoodReads

"Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers."

 
It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.


by Chad Harbach
Courtesy of Hachette/Little, Brown and Co. (thank you!)

Synopsis from GoodReads
At Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Superior, baseball star Henry Skrimshander seems destined for the big leagues. Then a routine throw goes disastrously off course and the fates of five people are upended.

Henry's life purpose is called into question. Longtime bachelor Guert Affenlight, the college's president, has fallen unexpectedly and helplessly in love. Owen Dunne, Henry's gay roommate and teammate, becomes swept up in a dangerous affair. Mike Schwartz, the team captain and Henry's best friend, realizes he has guided Henry's career at the expense of his own. And Pella Affenlight, Guert's daughter, returns to Westish to start a new life after escaping an ill-fated marriage.

As the season counts down to its climactic final game, these five confront their deepest hopes, anxieties, and secrets, and help one another to discover their true paths. Written with boundless intelligence and filled with the tenderness of youth, The Art of Fielding is an expansive, warmhearted novel about ambition and its limits, about the bonds of family and friendship and love, and about commitment--to oneself and to others.


Divergent (Divergent #1)
by Veronica Roth
Courtesy of my awesome library

Synopsis from GoodReads

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

And because I am a nonfiction-lovin' infojunkie: 
 Popularity, Quirk Theory, and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School
by Alexandra Robbins
Courtesy of my awesome library

Synopsis from GoodReads

When school lunchroom doors open, hungry students rush in, searching for tables where they wouldn't be outsiders. Of course, in middle school and high school, almost everyone is an outsider: the nerds, the new girls, the band geeks, the loners; even the "popular" cheerleaders. Alexandra Robbins' The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth takes us inside the hallways of real schools to show us how shifting cliques and permanent marginalization affect children. Following individual students over the course of year, she tracks the plight and possibilities of self-confessed nerds, freaks, punks, Goths, and weirdos. Her central message is heartening: Our increasingly homogenized society ultimately needs and welcomes the cafeteria fringe. 

19 comments:

  1. Awesome books especially Graffiti Moon and Divergent. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Books! I got Divergent last week and I can't wait to read it!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff this week! Divergent is my next read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Torn looks great! I want it now. Divergent is amazing! I hope you love it :)

    My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I want to get The Art of Fielding! It sounds really good! And I'm trying to squeeze Divergent in because I keep hearing how awesome it is. Hope you enjoy your books! :D

    Jess @ Gone with the Words
    On Twitter! @gonewiththeword

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm literally going to die if I don't get Divergent. I've heard so many amazing things! I can't wait to read it. Great IMM!

    My IMM is here:
    http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo you got Divergent! I've heard that one is nothing short of amazing, I need to pick that one up too:) Torn looks really interesting too, I'll be stalking your blog for your review of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Divergent looks soooooo good! I've heard so many good things about it and can't wait to read it! I hope you enjoy it! Come check out My IMM if you get the chance! Happy reading!

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great mailbox! They all look great! I LOVED Divergent :_)
    Check out what's In My Mailbox

    Mia @ Gripped into Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great set! I want to read Divergent. I finished the Geeks book last week. It was very interesting.
    New Twitter follower. Old GFC follower.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Divergent is excellent and I've only heard good things about Graffiti Moon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Torn looks amazing. Nice selection of books. Happy reading. Really want torn :)

    Here's my IMM

    Amy@adumbrations (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great set of books this week. Torn looks amazing...another book to add to the forever growing list of must reads. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got some great books this week! Hope you have alot of fun reading them :)

    You can find my IMM HERE

    Bels @ The Bookish Snob

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just started Divergent and love it so far. I think Torn looks amazing! I hadn't heard of that one so I'm looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have Divergent but I've yet to get to it. Some of these are books I've never heard of, but I'm super excited to see your reviews! Great haul, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow great mailbox! I like Torn's cover :)
    Enjoy Divergent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. DIVERGENT! OMG! I hope you really love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great books! I loved Divergent!

    ReplyDelete