Sunday, June 5, 2011

In My Mailbox (21)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme started by The Story Siren with inspiration from Pop Culture Junkie.

This is a great event where we share all the great books we've picked up to read for the week! Please join us in getting to know one another and sharing great reads!  Here's what I got this week . . .

by Adele Griffin
from the library

When 17-year-old Jamie arrives on the idyllic New England island of Little Bly to work as a summer au pair, she is stunned to learn of the horror that precedes her. Seeking the truth surrounding a young couple's tragic deaths, Jamie discovers that she herself looks shockingly like the dead girl—and that she has a disturbing ability to sense the two ghosts. Why is Jamie's connection to the couple so intense? What really happened last summer at Little Bly? As the secrets of the house wrap tighter and tighter around her, Jamie must navigate the increasingly blurred divide between the worlds of the living and the dead.

Brilliantly plotted, with startling twists, here is a thrilling page-turner from the award-winning Adele Griffin.
 
 
The Last Unicorn 
by Peter S. Beagle
from NetGalley
 
Whimsical. Lyrical. Poignant. Adapted for the first time from the acclaimed and beloved novel by Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn is a tale for any age about the wonders of magic, the power of love, and the tragedy of loss. The unicorn, alone in her enchanted wood, discovers that she may be the last of her kind. Reluctant at first, she sets out on a journey to find her fellow unicorns, even if it means facing the terrifying anger of the Red Bull and malignant evil of the king who wields his power.  
 
The Art of Forgeting
by Camille Noe Pagan
  
A moving and insightful debut novel of great friendship interrupted. Can the relationship survive when the memories are gone?

Marissa Rogers never wanted to be an alpha; beta suited her just fine. Taking charge without taking credit had always paid off: vaulting her to senior editor at a glossy magazine; keeping the peace with her critical, weight-obsessed mother; and enjoying the benefits of being best friends with gorgeous, charismatic, absolutely alpha Julia Ferrar.

And then Julia gets hit by a cab. She survives with minor obvious injuries, but brain damage steals her memory and alters her personality, possibly forever. Suddenly, Marissa is thrown into the role of alpha friend. As Julia struggles to regain her memory- dredging up issues Marissa would rather forget, including the fact that Julia asked her to abandon the love of her life ten years ago- Marissa's own equilibrium is shaken.

With the help of a dozen girls, she reluctantly agrees to coach in an after-school running program. There, Marissa uncovers her inner confidence and finds the courage to reexamine her past and take control of her future.

The Art of Forgetting is a story about the power of friendship, the memories and myths that hold us back, and the delicate balance between forgiving and forgetting.


 

8 comments:

  1. Ooh nice books! I really enjoyed Tighter and The Last Unicorn is one of my all time favorites. I hope you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! I can't wait to hear what you think of Tighter. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! The Last Unicorn... brings back so many memories. I will have to keep my eye out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never hear do of The Art of Forgetting. I'm adding this to me tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Bewitched Bookworms Art of Forgetting. I'll be interested to see what you think. I have Tighter to read. I don't know if I can do The Last Unicorn. Have to get the scoop from Small if it has a HEA. I don't do animal stories with sad endings. I know that's cheating, but, well that's my one weakness. I can't wait for your reviews!!

    How is house hunting going?

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great set! The Art of Forgetting looks great. I want to read The Last Unicorn.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover for Art of Forgetting. I'm probably going to add it to me list!:) Thank you.

    My IMM is here:
    http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm a new GFC follower! love your blog!
    hope you will stop by mine and follow me!!


    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete