Friday, April 1, 2011

The "Thursday" Literary News Roundup (18)

The Thursday Friday Literary News Roundup
(just this Friday)



In Memoriam:

From The New York Times: "Diana Wynne Jones, Children’s Author, Dies at 76".  From it: "Diana Wynne Jones, whose critically admired stories and novels for children and teenage readers imagined fantastical worlds inhabited by wizards, witches, magicians and ordinary boys and girls, died on Saturday in Bristol, England. She was 76."



Articles to Read:

I'm sure you've heard, but in case you didn't, self-published author Amanda Hocking has gone to the majors with her new, upcoming four-book series. She's signed with St. Martin's Press.  Here's more from the lit blogs on Forbes and The New York Times.

The Washington Post had a fantastic article here: "Sarah Pekkanen on the gender divide in children’s books".

Great article and interview on Carrie Ryan from the Deseret News, "Ryan hopes her books help teens deal with fears".

From USAToday: "'Twilight' fans are on Team Meyer"

I absolutely lovedLovedLOVED this article featuring Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King, "A.S. King Channels Her Weird Young Adult Side".  It's a very informative insight into her views on writing.  It also mentions and names her works-in-progress.

From The New York Review of Books: "Six Reasons Google Books Failed". Pretty decent opinion piece.

Love this from The Guardian - it's a preview of an audio book (article includes both the audio and the transcript), but the subject is fascinating: "Preview: authors reveal the secrets of their craft".

CNNMoney posted, "How Amazon will lead the way to cheaper tablets".  Hey, it was bound to happen.  How are we going to recycle all this techno stuff??

Haha, loves.  Some cheek and balls about some classics from The Guardian: "Not the 50 books you must read before you die".  I don't agree on all of them, but it's snickering good fun to read!

Aww, have you seen this?  From The Atlantic: "Etsy and Books Collide: Penguin's New Hand-Sewn Covers."  I'm not sure about the Emma one, but I think The Secret Garden one is to die for!

Flavorwire.com has moxie, don't you think: "10 Movies That Were Better Than The Book"

Hello, Memory Lane.  Remember those cheapo Scholastic book order forms you got in grade school (I was in the 'Troll' era)?  Feast your eyes: "28 Vintage Book Club Mailers".

Okay, loved this, also from Flavorwire: "Literary Mixtape: Elizabeth Bennet"

Nice opinion piece from The Telegraph: "Commentary: literary classics are a window on today's world: Michael Gove has complained that GCSE English students are not reading enough Victorian literature"and a corresponding article from The Daily Mail: "The final chapter for classic literature as only a handful of pupils study time-honoured novels"

VERY interesting and thorough opinion post on i09: "Stop Writing Young Adult Science Fiction"  From the post, "If we really want to open science fiction up to new readers, we won't do it by dividing our audience up into smaller and smaller groups. Nor will we expand the minds of young people by telling them that they should only read specially-designated novels for young people."

Muhahahahaha, from The National Post's blog, The Afterword, "Confessions of a book hoarder".  This guy laments over his inability to let go of the books he owns, even the crap ones.  Sound familiar?  BTW - he is asking for submissions on your own book hoarding stories.

Buzz: Books and Otherwise

Shiver author Maggie Stiefvater revealed a fourth book in the series:




Remember A Modest Proposal?  Check out this recent purchase by S&S UK and St. Martin's (USA): "Simon And Schuster Hunts Down Terrifying YA Trilogy"


From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "'The Hunger Games': popular, violent ... and rated PG-13?:Can the young adult books become a movie fit for young teens?"  Local teens and David Leviathan weigh in.

Rutrow, Scoobs.  The tweeners will be crushed!  From iVilliage: "Robert Pattison: I Can't See HowBreaking Dawn' Will Be PG-13 '..."

From MTV: "Which Hot Blond Guy Would Cassandra Clare Cast As Jace In 'Mortal Instruments'?"

From Variety: "Young Hollywood lines up for 'Seventh Son'"  and this from Up and Comers - not sure if this is confirmed: "The Seventh Son” casts Sam Claflin and Alicia Vikander"



I thought this was a fun article from The Columbus Dispatch on the enduring quality of making Jane Eyre into a movie: "Bronte character keeps showing up in film after film after film".  One of my favorite lines, "Jane Austen is like Gossip Girl, and Charlotte and Emily were like goth twins," he said. "It's a totally different sensibility. The emotional world that Charlotte inhabited is much darker and more dangerous."

That's it for this week, kids! More news and fun stuff to come next week!

If you have any thoughts or suggestions for The Thursday Literary New Roundup, feel free to comment or email me at bibliophile.brouhaha@gmail.com.

8 comments:

  1. That cover cracked me up! I hadn't seen it yet!! She's too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Litter cover is hilarious. Just when I thought I wouldn't see any good April Fools' jokes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Litter! ROTFLMAO! It's so great to see an author's wicked sense of humor. Thanks for this post today Linds. I'm bored out of my mind and needed some interesting links to go follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, for a second I was thinking that Litter was real, then I remembered what today was and things clicked. I'm super smart sometimes. I was thinking it seemed like an odd addition to the series, but was prepared to go with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Litter was real as well. I don't like the series, so at first I was like "I'm happy I stopped at book number one!" Thanks for piling this list together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay today I actually had a chance to click through and read some of the articles. I totally agree about the YA genre leaning more towards girls and boys are reading less. I see this with my 14 yr old son. He's trying to tackle Leviathan in 8th grade. He was reading Harry Potter in 3rd. What happened? I don't think they question their ability, I think teachers still force "classic literature" on them and let's face it, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Steinbeck, they may be classic, but they are unrelatable to kids today. If you aren't already interested in reading and forced to read something you don't like, it turns you off reading even further. Why not use some of this great YA literature out today and show them the examples of the type of literary terms and uses they are using the same tired novels they used when I was in high school. Let the English Majors (me) read the classics. Make the teachers stay up to date to keep the kids interested in learning. At least that's what I'd do, if I were teaching. Rather than change 150 kids minds, change my style.

    Off my soapbox, but thanks for bringing that to my attention!

    Heather
    They still do the book forms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the Litter thing went right over my head. I had to go back and see what they were talking about. I thought, "figures!" as many triologies are having a fourth book thrown in. Maybe you've just given her the idea....I like your cover!

    Heather
    Make sure you get royalties on that name or cover if she uses it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I seriously thought the Maggie Stiefvater book was for real - I am such a sucker!!

    ReplyDelete