Sunday, April 24, 2011

In My Mailbox (19)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme started by The Story Siren with inspiration from Pop Culture Junkie.

This is a great event where we share all the great books we've picked up to read for the week! Please join us in getting to know one another and sharing great reads!  Here's what I got this week . . .

Good Oil
by Laura Buzo

A wonderful, coming-of-age love story from a fresh new voice in YA fiction.

'Miss Amelia Hayes, welcome to The Land of Dreams. I am the staff trainer. I will call you grasshopper and you will call me sensei and I will give you the good oil. Right? And just so you know, I'm open to all kinds of bribery.'

From the moment 15-year-old Amelia begins work on the checkout at Woolworths she is sunk, gone, lost...head-over-heels in love with Chris. Chris is the funny, charming, man-about-Woolies, but he's 21, and the 6-year difference in their ages may as well be 100. Chris and Amelia talk about everything from Second Wave Feminism to Great Expectations and Alien but will he ever look at her in the way she wants him to? And if he does, will it be everything she hopes? For ages 15+. 

by Gae Polisner

While Nick Gardner’s family is falling apart, his best friend, Scooter, is dying from a freak disease. The Scoot’s final wish is that Nick and their quirky classmate, Jaycee Amato, deliver a prized first-edition copy of Of Mice and Men to the Scoot’s father. There’s just one problem: the Scoot’s father walked out years ago and hasn’t been heard from since. So, guided by Steinbeck’s life lessons, and with only the vaguest of plans, Nick and Jaycee set off to find him.




Characters you’ll want to become friends with and a narrative voice that sparkles with wit make this a truly original coming-of-age story.

 
by Jon Skovron
Jael Thompson has never really fit in. She’s changed schools too many times to count. The only family she’s ever known is her father, a bitter ex-priest who never lets her date and insists she attend the strictest Catholic school in Seattle. And her mother—well, she was a five thousand year old demon. That doesn’t exactly help.

But on her sixteenth birthday, her father gives her a present that brings about some unexpected changes. Some of the changes, like strange and wonderful powers and the cute skater boy with a knack for science, are awesome. But others, like the homicidal demon seeking revenge on her family? Not so much.

Steeped in mythology, this is an epic tale of a heroine who balances old world with new, science with magic, and the terrifying depths of the underworld with the ordinary halls of high school.

by Amalie Howard

The spell was simple …  Cruentus Protectum. Defend the Blood.

But what do you do if your blood is your enemy?

Victoria Warrick has always known she was different. An outcast at school, she is no stranger to adversity. But when she receives an old journal for her seventeenth birthday, nothing prepares her for the dark secrets it holds—much less one that reveals she’s a witch with unimaginable power.

What’s more, when she meets the dazzling but enigmatic Christian Devereux, she has no idea how much her life is about to change. Enemies will hunt her. Friends will turn on her. The terrible curse that makes her blood run black will stop at nothing to control her. And Christian has a sinister secret of his own …

Without knowing whom to trust, can Victoria survive her blood’s deadly desires? Or will she lose everything, including herself?

by Julie Halpern

On the first day of Lillian’s summer-before-college, she gets a message on her cell from her sort-of friend, Penny. Not only has Penny faked her own kidnapping, but Lil is the only one who figures it out. She knows that Penny’s home life has been rough, and that her boyfriend may be abusive. Soon, Penny’s family, the local police, and even the FBI are grilling Lil, and she decides to head out to Oregon, where Penny has mentioned an acquaintance. And who better to road-trip across the country with than Lil’s BFF, Josh. But here’s the thing: Lil loves Josh. And Josh doesn’t want to “ruin” their amazing friendship.


Josh has a car and his dad’s credit card. Lil has her cellphone and a hunch about where Penny is hiding. There’s something else she needs to find: Are she and Josh meant to be together?

16 comments:

  1. Don't stop now has such a fun and simple cover. It also sounds really interesting. Hope you'll enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Good Oil" sounds like a great book. I never heard of it before. Looking forward to reading your review. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about you, Linds! Good Oil sounds like the perfect book for you. I'll be interested in your review of that one, Misfit, and Bloodspell. Hope you've been well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved Good Oil! <3 And it's Aussie, so that kind of makes it awesome before even reading :D

    Great books! I'm particularly lusting after Misfit and Bloodspell, hope you enjoy!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab set! I'm especially excited for Bloodspell.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently waiting on Good Oil to come back on stock on the book depository. I can't wait to hear what you think. Great books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh. i just LOVED good oil! even more on the re-read :) hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Lucky you. I'm really looking forward to Misfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it weird that I was wondering where you've been lately? That probably sounds creepy, lol.

    I'm looking forward to hopefully/ eventually/if I get lucky to read Good Oil. Great books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great books! I love Good Oil and I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Good Oil! Aussie book, I believe (and another one I'm dying to read) great books this week, happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay Linds you're back! Misfit looks amazing, I can't wait to read that one and the cover is just so beautifully creepy. Really looking forward to your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope The Pull of Gravity will inspire people to read more Steinbeck.

    Check out/follow my new blog at http://ya100words.blogspot.com/

    YA Lit Reviews in 100 words or Less and songs to ready by

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of a few of these... *goes to Goodreads* :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to check these out a little more closely me thinks!

    I tagged you in this post: http://simpleloveofreading.blogspot.com/2011/05/tag-im-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really really REALLY want Bloodspell. And Misfit. WANT.

    I'm a new GFC follower btw! ;)
    Kind regards,
    I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete