Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Top Ten Book Characters I'd Want As Family Members


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. Participators in this meme love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!


Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time.. just post what you can!


This week: Top Ten Book Characters I'd Want As Family Members!  I only picked five. . . I mean, we are talking about people you'd want to deal with for life!  Pays to be picky :)

1. The Tillerman Family, from The Tillerman Family Cycle by Cynthia Voight
Fierce, honest and loyal - these are the characteristics that defined this family. They called you on it when you were wrong, supported you when you needed it and expected you to be a participating member of the family capable on standing on your feet.  I want all them as my own: Gram, Dicey, James, Maybeth and Sammy (and Mina and Jeff, too).

"But I'll tell you something else, too. Something I've learned, the hard way. I guess"—Gram laughed a little—"I'm the kind of person who has to learn things the hard way. You've got to hold on. Hold on to people. They can get away from you. It's not always going to be fun, but if you don't—hold on—then you lose them."
-Gram

2. Hans Hubermann, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Hans is probably the guy we overlook in our day-to-day living, an average joe kind of man.  But to one little girl, he was heart, healing and home.  And that makes him an Everyday Hero.

"He came every night and sat with her. The first couple of times, he simply stayed - a stranger to kill the aloneness. A few nights after that, he whispered, "Shhh, I'm here, it's all right." After three weeks he held her. Trust was accumulated quickly, due primarily to the brute strength of the man's gentleness, his thereness. The girl knew from the outset that Hans Hubermann would always appear midscream, and he would not leave."


3. Mia's family, If I Stay by Gayle Forman
I include everyone from the book - the ones who had to leave, Gramps and Gran, and Mia's dearest friend.  Who wouldn't want a family like this?  Quirky, accepting and loving. . .  I adored them and joined them in their thoughts for Mia.

"There are like twenty people in that waiting room right now. Some of them are related to you. Some of them are not. But we're all your family.'

She stops now. Leans over me so that the wisps of her hair tickle my face. She kisses me on the forehead.

'You still have a family,' she whispers."
-Kim

4. Atticus Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Who better to be a father than a person who strove to do his best everyday of his life simply because he believed it was the right thing to do  He put a face to true civility for me.

"Son, I told you that if you hadn't lost your head I'd have made you go read to her. I wanted you to see something about her. I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do."

5. Matthew and Martha Cuthbert, Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
What is it about fine literature, orphans, and remarkable individuals who rise to the occasion?  Anne wasn't want they initially wanted, but she was who they needed, and they raised her with all the loving discipline they had.  I'd love to have their strict but admirable ways in my family.

"Matthew had sheepishly unfolded the dress from its paper swathings and held it out with a deprecatory glance at Marilla, who feigned to be contemptuously filling the teapot, but nevertheless watched the scene out of the corner of her eye with a rather interested air.

Anne took the dress and looked at it in reverent silence. Oh, how pretty it was--a lovely soft brown gloria with all the gloss of silk; a skirt with dainty frills and shirrings; a waist elaborately pintucked in the most fashinable way, with a little ruffle of filmy lace at the neck. But the sleeves--they were the crowning glory! Long elbow cuffs, and above them two beautiful puffs divided by rows of shirring and bows of brown-silk ribbon."

14 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on Hans and Mia's family! Great choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would want Mia's family as well. They were all so close and loving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atticus is a favourite with most! And Marmee too!

    These are interesting picks. I had tough time with it yet somehow picked TEN!

    Here is my Top Ten Picks post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I forgot about Hans! Love him :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mathew and Martha! Loves!

    You know that Kim quote killed me! A chill just ran through me reading it again.

    I'd probably say Thomas Mackee's family. The whole lot of them. :D

    And as usual, you have made me book curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hans, Matthew and Marilla--I should have thought of them. What a great list! So many great characters to choose from it was hard to decide! Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just talking about Anne of Green Gables with Small Review yesterday! The Cuthberts can be my family any day.

    Jeez, I really need to read If I Stay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list. I like what you said about Hans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Atticus made my list, but Hans and Matthew are also wonderful choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these except for To Kill A Mockingbird (love Atticus!), so apparently I need to get on some of these! I've heard The Book Thief is fabulous, I need to make time for that one for sure. And If I Stay:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely agree with To Kill a Mockingbird. I can't believe I haven't read these other books! Fabulous picks, Linds! I think you're more well-read than I am ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mia's family is one of my favourites too. I am just about to read Where She Went and I hope I get to see them again.

    I would pick DJ's family from The Dairy Queen and also the Mackee family too, like Missie (she is always trying to steal Thomas Mackee ;).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Atticus Finch is an awesome choice - I would want him as a father as well!

    ReplyDelete