Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Thursday Literary News Roundup (16)

The Thursday Literary News Roundup



Blog Posts of Note:

Well, apparently, I live under a rock.  Did you know about this organization?  Writers for the Red Cross has some great auctions and other things going on to help support Red Cross relief efforts, and it's going on for the month of March only - go and check out the wonderful fundraising efforts!!

An absolutely fascinating look at RandomHouse, from an intern's perspective at The Dorchester Community Blog (Dorchester Publishing): "What’s a YA(author) to do?"  Specifically, the post talking about RH's Young to Publishing Group brown bag lunch lecture.


Whooowho!!  Two of my favorite bloggers with conflicting opinions on a new book!  Nic from Irrisistable Reads seemed to enjoy The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter, but Alyssa from the Lit Express found it somewhat lacking.  I haven't read this one yet, but I am very interested in seeing whom I agree with!




An absolutely beautiful review of Shine by Lauren Myracle from Alexis at My Words Ate Me: "I got an ache in my chest from reading this, and I appreciate that the author refused to shy away from such tough issues. The prose was unflinchingly honest and raw, digging deep into the heart of matters that other books might dance around.


Has anyone else noticed this more adult-like feeling among darker YA urban fantasy?  Sarah from That Bookish Girl has.  Check out her recent review on Moon Spell by Samantha Young: "Moon Spell is a remarkable young adult fantasy that is propelled by lies, deceit and love. The writing style is quite unique; though it is targeted to teenagers, it reads more like an adult urban fantasy than a young adult novel."  



Hmmm, I haven't heard a ton about this book, so I wanted to include this review on Immortal Beloved by Buried in Books: "I don't know where this book has been hiding but I'm so glad I found it! This is a book about Immortals. Those seem to be popping up in my hands a lot lately. But this had an incredible mythology surrounding it and there is light and dark and these Immortals have Magick.
Ashley from Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing wrote a stunner of a review for Blue by Lou Aronica, "I didn't really know what to expect from this book going into it. I thought the idea of a made-up, healing fantasy world come to live was interesting, so when I was approached to review this book, I accepted. I didn't know what to expect, but man, I didn't expect this! Blue is so much more than it appears to be. Most of my thoughts are tied up in how complex this story is, and how full of meaning each passage is."



Articles to Read:

Here we go again.  From the Wall Street Journal: "E-Book Lending Takes Off: New Online Clubs That Let Readers Share Have Drawbacks but Worry Publishers".  This sentence cracks me up, "The sites, some of which have gathered thousands of users, allow strangers to borrow and lend e-books for Amazon.com Inc.'s Kindle and Barnes and Noble Inc.'s Nook free."  Well, of course, it's for free.  That's rather indicative of the work 'lend'.  It also means that if they want a book to keep, they have to buy one.  Sheesh.  Click on for more deets.

An extremely well-penned article appeared in the School Library Journal about the e-book/HarperCollins issue.  It included responses froms several library-related organizations/people: "Kids, Teens Suffer from HarperCollins's Limit on Ebook Downloads".

From the New York Times: "Need Advice on What to Read? Ask the Internet".  Article on GoodReads  acquiring DiscoverReads and how it will change (enhance?) book recommendations for you.

From The BookSeller.com: "Orion launches new YA imprint".

The UK's The Guardian ranked the Top 10 Best American poems.

Into Steampunk and living in Philly?  From the Philadelphia Inquirer: "Philly's Neo-Victorian and Steampunk crowds find a place to hang at Dorian's Parlor".

The finalists for NSW's Ethel Turner Prize have been announced.  The award honors an Australian work of fiction, non-fiction or poetry written for people at the secondary school level.

The finalists for the 2011 NZ Post Children’s Book Awards have been announced!  Some YA there that I've not heard of before - check it out!

From Flavorwire, a very funny homage to Roald Dalh's Matilda, in which her leech of a father gives her an e-reader.

From TheBookSeller.com: "HarperCollins Children's Books signs two deals".  I knew about the Maureen Johnson deal, but not about newcomer Kerry Drewery's A Brighter Fear.  I belive this is for the UK branch.

Okay, normally, I wouldn't pay attention to this article from The Kansas City Star: "Lyric Opera chief Evan Luskin to retire after 2011-2012 season".  Um, but wait!  Take a look at this ALL IMPORTANT sentence: "As for education, the Lyric holds a summer camp as well as programs in the schools. In the coming year, Luskin revealed, it’s involved in a partnership with Minnesota Opera to commission a new work from composer Susan Kander, based on Lois Lowry’s popular young adult novel “The Giver.” The opera is destined for its world premiere at Rockhurst High School in January 2012."  Say WHAT?!?!!?  More info, please!!!


Buzz: Books and Otherwise

THIS JUST IN THURSDAY MORNING: From The Wrap Movies, "EXCLUSIVE: Jennifer Lawrence Gets Lead Role in 'The Hunger Games'".

Ally Condie revealed the cover for Crossed (sequel to Matched).  I LOVE IT!  It completely works with the ending of book #1! Can't wait to see what happens in #2!




Okay, the U.K. cover for Die for Me by Amy Plum was released, and It. Is. Gorgeous!  They both are!  What do you think?  Which do you like better?
U.K. Cover
U.S. Cover

 

















The trailer for Lauren DeStefano's Wither released - it's lovely and fits the cover very, very well!






How cute it the just released trailer for So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti?








Annnnd, the trailer for Through Her Eyes by Jennifer Archer was released, too!
 
As well as the one for Half-Blood by Jennifer Armentrout


And the one for Shimmer by Alyson Noel 





Looooove this article from The L.A. Daily News on the new Jane Eyre film!  I can't wait to see it: "Latest film version of 'Jane Eyre' shows title character in a fresh way".

That's it for this week, kids! More news and fun stuff to come next week!

If you have any thoughts or suggestions for The Thursday Literary New Roundup, feel free to comment or email me at bibliophile.brouhaha@gmail.com.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review shout out. I am curious who you are going to agree with too. ~whispers~ I hope it is me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do looked forward to this post every thursday morning. I love all the bookish news!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything Google can't do now a days?

    Thanks for the link love as usual. You sure do know how to make a book geek squee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I love conflicting reviews. I've already read Nic's so I'll have to go and check out Lit Express:) And how much do I love the cover for CROSSED? Both it and MATCHED I think are stunning and so beautifully simple. I can't wait to read that one! Thanks for all the fabulous news links Linds:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVED Immortal Beloved! I'm surprised myself more people haven't read it yet, especially since Cat Tiernan has other popular books.

    I also loved The Goddess Test! I'm going to check and check out the other review to see what she had to say about it.

    I agree that both Die For Me covers look great!

    I love Wither and Half-Blood's trailers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really LOVE this post! And thanks for the name dropping (The Lit Express) :) We've wanted to do a post like this on our blog for quite some time, but haven't seem to gotten it together. But you've done a fabulous job!!!

    Thanks for reading my brother's post and commenting. It was his first post EVER, and he is such a great writer!!! So hopefully he'll guest blog often.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your literary round up! I always find bits of news I've missed out on!

    I've also read a lot of differing reviews on The Goddesss Test, so I wonder what side I'll fall on when I get to read it.

    The US cover of Die for Me has been changed to match the UK one now! I liked the original US one, but I like the new one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the mention about my Immortal Beloved review. It's not my best work but the book really did surprise me because I'd never heard of it. If you read it let me know what you think.

    And I've heard conflicting reviews about The Goddess Test, too.

    I loved last week's Roundup by the way. Thanks for keeping us updated on what's going on!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete