Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. Participators in this meme love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time.. just post what you can!
This week: Top Ten Characters (and Literary Figures) That I'd Name My Children After
2. Jane Eyre - My mother absolutely cringes at the idea of my naming a daughter Jane (too plain!), but I love Jane's quiet independence and her indomitable will. I wouldn't want a daughter to go through her sadness, but I would love for her to have Jane's fortitude.
3. Jonas - I've loved this kid ever since I first read The Giver. So young to take such responsibility on his shoulders, so untested to take such risks. God, I adored him for seeing right to the truth of things and understanding the value of life and the right to free will.
4. Harper Lee - I would name my daughter after her in a heartbeat. I don't think any of us who were born after the Jim Crow era can truly appreciate that To Kill a Mockingbird was act of bravery, but we do know what a powerful testament to tolerance it is in our own time - a true keystone in the U.S. cannon.
6. Flannery O'Connor - ADORE her short story collections. She wrote about hard things that were often misunderstood, but her writing captured my attention in college and has held it ever since.
7. Anne Elliot - I very much admire this protagonist from Jane Austen's very best book, Persuasion. She was practical, refined and intelligent, although easily influenced. She was also willing to overlook social standing in a time when that was everything to members of her family and class. She screwed up the first time love came her way, but she got it right when it revisited her later.
8. Ryan, aka Rhino - Best. Guy. Ever. He's got one shady past, but I adore adore the way he treated Carly in Raw Blue. I can deal with a shady past if my son comes out of it with the maturity, patience and tolerance that Ryan showed throughout the story. I would like to think that my son would treat women with the same care and respect that Ryan had.
10. Peeta - WHO DOESN"T LOVE THIS GUY??? Look, I'm not advocating that any son of my sacrifice his life for a chick because I'm sure I would be protective and selfish like that. BUT. . . I am certain that I would be proud. Plus, I wouldn't mind a kick-ass daughter-in-law like Katniss. I'd cook all the lamb and apricot stew she could eat, and my wonderful son could help me plant a garden.