Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Top Ten Books Best Debut Books (Ever)!


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. Participators in this meme love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time.. just post what you can!


This week: Top Ten Books Best Debut Books! 

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Actually, this was her only published book, but it was a stunning beginning and end to her career, wasn't it?  I guess once you purge the bottom of humanity, you've said what you could.
"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger."

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
My favorite book of all time.  I never tire of reading about Francie's trials and joys,  and I learn or relearn something about myself every single time I read it.
"From that time on, the world was hers for the reading. She would never be lonely again, never miss the lack of intimate friends. Books became her friends and there was one for every mood."

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar
I love this book so, so much.  If I could give it to every blogger to read for themselves, I would.  I've made spreading the word about it a personal mission of mine.  It's my top read of 2010, and I hope that one day you can read it, too.
"The moon is weird tonight.  A yellow devil with a knowing face and hard triumphant eyes.  The top of his head is cropped off diagonally, as though he is wearing an invisible hat at a jaunty angle.  Usually when I see the moon I feel like I've been blessed, but not tonight.  The moon is telling me to watch my feet."
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Oh, this author's story is the stuff of fables!  I still can't believe it - just one story started off the reading experience of an entire generation. .  .  an amazing example of what one can do with determination and imagination!
"He had a powerful kind of ache inside him, half joy, half terrible sadness.  How long he stood there, he didn't know. The reflections did not fade and he looked and looked until a distant noise brought him back to his senses. He couldn't stay here, he had to find his way back to bed. He tore his eyes away from his mother's face, whispered, "I'll come back," and hurried from the room."

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Um, seriously, how was this her first book?  The magnificence that is Bones surely came through divine intervention.  I am OBSESSED with this series - my first blog post ever was about it, and I highly encourage you to check out this humorous, emotional, action-packed and original series!
“That’s right, luv.” Softly, but unyielding resonance. “If you run from me, I’ll chase you. And I’ll find you.”

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Okay, so technically, this wasn't her first published work, but it was her first printed novel.  Three cheers for English literature for gaining this amazing author when this book was published!
"To her own heart it was a delightful affair, to her imagination it was even a ridiculous one, but to her reason, her judgment, it was completely a puzzle."

Homecoming by Cynthia Voight
Hands down one of the best works of characterization that I have ever read.  This ranks right up there with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for me - can't have a bookshelf without it or the rest of the series.
"Dicey looked at the gravestones about her. She read an inscription: 'Home is the hunter, home from the hill, and the sailor home from the sea'. What a thing to put on a grave. As if to say that being dead was home... Being dead wasn't being home, was it? Unless—and she remember what James had been saying last night—home was the place where you finally stayed, forever and ever. Then this person was home, and nobody would ever be truly home until he, or she, died. It was an awful thought."

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
This was not only her first novel, it's considered her masterpiece by many.  Oh, and she wrote it when she was 23.  How does that happen? Simply amazing!
"Then suddenly he felt a quickening in him. His heart turned and he leaned his back against the counter for support. For in a swift radiance of illumination he saw a glimpse of human struggle and of valor. Of the endless fluid passage of humanity through endless time. And of those who labor and of those who—one word—love. His soul expanded. But for a moment only. For in him he felt a warning, a shaft of terror... he was suspended between radiance and darkness. Between bitter irony and faith."

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Again, it was her first and only novel, but it literary defined an entire era and made us face that one can be a part of a majority and still be dead wrong.  It also gave me one of my personal heroes: Atticus Finch.
"Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)... There are just some kind of men who - who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results."


13 comments:

  1. Great list! There is still a few I need to read. So glad to see Raw Blue there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Sense and Sensibility and Harry Potter on my list too. I completely agree with Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a nice list. I got Raw Blue and I am super excited to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices Linds, I'm going to refrain from typing the word Bones in all caps in a fangirl squeeing manner since you already know my feelings on him:) I'm about halfway through Raw Blue at the moment and am really enjoying it, whenever Carly has a run-in with a guy it just makes my heart hurt at her skittishness. Can't wait for more Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list. I completely forgot about To Kill a Mockingbird! It's definitely one of the best books I've ever read. Harry Potter was on my list too and I imagine it will be on many others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Harry Potter and Sense and Sensibility made mine as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nic Raw Blue - oh yeah, it will always be there :)

    @Misha Glad you liked my list - I liked yours, as well!

    @Savy Cannot wait to hear your thoughts!

    @Jenny I'll do it for you: BONES!!!!!!!!! Oh yea, talk to me and Nic - we luuuuuurve Ryan!!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Loni - I think it will on a lot of lists - it's always stayed with me :)

    @Daisy - Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list. We share a few favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a fantastic list! I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and even though I want to punch Heathcliff in the face, Wuthering Heights was a wonderfully powerful book. I’m a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For a long time I thought that if I ever had a kid, I'd name him or her Atticus. LOVE TKaM

    I've only read four of these titles, Linds, but now I'm definitely inspired to try a few more that you have listed here.

    P.S. Bones is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only read one of these (Harry Potter, which is on my list), but it is a source of local pride that the movie version The Heart is a Lonely Hunter was partially filmed in my hometown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a great list! I'm love all the choices you have (well, the one's ive read) and I love that you included Homecoming, I feel it's so underrated yet sooo good! I love the entire Tillerman cycle :) And I soo need to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn soon, seems like everyone only has good things to say about it! Pretty desperate to read Raw Blue too, if only it was released internationally :( Ive heard so many good things!

    ReplyDelete