Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Thursday Literary News Roundup (11)


The Thursday Literary News Roundup 



Blog Posts of Note:

There was an absolutely wonderful and thought-provoking post over at THE YAs YAs YAs this week called:  "An Equal Place at the Table: A guest post by Neesha Meminger".  Merminger is also the author of two YA books: Shine, Coconut Moon and Jazz in Love.  P.S. I love her personal site's tagline: finding truth and sharing it, one story at a time.  Amy Patee also posted on this topic this week in a Kirkus Reviews post: "It’s time for more YA for people of color"

Didn't hear the debacle about Vampire Diaries author, L.J. Smith, being fired from writing the series?  Catch up by reading Melissa's post on it at i swim for oceans - great comments, too!

I just adored this blog post on 'character journaling' at Fear of Writing.

An absolutely wonderful post in reaction to Kurt Vonnegut's assessment on writers being 'swoopers' or 'bashers' and their relation to gender, i.e. females are swoopers and males are bashers - check out the full post from The Narrative in the Blog.

Great post from the YA Book Shelf about an art director at a small publishing house: "How Does YA Lit Inspire You?: Kay Fraser Makes Magic Happen"

LOVED this review and the quotes from 25 Hour Books on The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong: "This was exactly what I needed. I’ve been in a little bit of a reading slump. This book had me laughing out loud so hard that I didn’t even care that people were staring at me."  It releases in April.

Bewitched Bookworms wrote a favorable review on upcoming release Rival by Sarah Bennett Wealer: "It was a highly enjoyable read and truly wonderful Debut. If you love realistic feeling novels, then Rival is definitely perfect for you."  It releases on the 15th.

Books in the Spotlight gave a great review on an upcoming release I had not heard of before.  Bruiser by Neil Shusterman: "I'm always surprised when I read a book by Neal Shusterman, mainly because I never know what to expect from his books. What I do know, however, is that each time I read one of his novels I always have a different, fresh reading experience that leads me to think about the book much longer after I have finished it. His latest title, Bruiser, is no exception."

The Frazzled Book Nommer had a great review on You Killed Wesley Payne by Sean Beaudoin: "The novel was highly entertaining and very humorous. Something was always making fun of something else, and a lot of the ideas in the book are far-fetched. (See above paragraph for crazy high school). There were a couple of times where I laughed out loud (in a good way) from the absurdity of some of the things/ideas in the book."

April at Good Books and Good Wine wrote a lovely review of Bitter Melon by Cara Chow: "I found Bitter Melon to be a complex and fascinating look at the relationship between a parent and a child. No relationship is black and white. This book shows those shades of gray."

i. eat. words. wrote a great review on another book I had not heard of called The Raising by Laura Kasischke: "You know when you finish reading a great book and are left wondering if what you read was real or not? I need to Facebook these people, they HAVE to be real. Where did they go to school? That's how I felt as I finished The Raising

Articles to Read:

Ally Condie, Andrea Cremer, Brenna Yovanoff, Kirsten Miller and Beth Revis might be (or in my case, not :) coming to a city near you!  All of them.  At the same time.  The Deseret News has more.

If you are on Twitter, you've probably seen this one floating around, but it's a good one from the New York Times: "E-Readers Catch Younger Eyes and Go in Backpacks".

Yay!!  New White Paper from YALSA: "The Importance of a Whole Library Approach to Public Library Young Adult Services: A YALSA Issue Paper"

The Star-Tribune in Minnesota revealed that another publisher is adding YA books to its offerings: "Scarletta Press expanding to YA books".

Okay, really, is this necessary?  A shabby-looking e-reader to appease the more traditional reader?  From NewsBiscuit: "Kindle launches dog-eared e-book for reluctant e-readers".  Silly Amazon, gimmicks are for kids.

A new article from The Atlantic Monthly reports that, "Book sales are up, way up, from twenty years ago. Young adult readership is far wider and deeper than ever before."

Lovely interview from The National Post: "David Levithan’s book of love".

USAToday had a fabulous article that featured self-published YA author Amanda Hocking: "Authors catch fire with self-published e-books"  Holy crap - did you know that Hocking is doing so well that all three books in her Trylle Trilogy debuted today in USAToday's Top 50Best-Selling Books list?  BTW - Amanda also chimed in about the whole #YAlitChat debacle.  In her recent post, she says, "Book bloggers have saved my life. Book bloggers absolutely without a doubt sell books. I can prove it to you. In May, I sold just over 600 books. In June, I sold over 4,000. In May, I had no reviews. In June, book bloggers started reviewing my books."

I found this piece by Laura Miller over at Salon thought-provoking: "Literature's gender gap".  I thought it was interesting, as it feels to me that the situation is somewhat opposite in YA lit - what do you think?  Also, take a moment to check out Hilary Wagner's blog post on: "THE BIG SHIFT: Middle-grade VS. YA Covers"  She makes an interesting observation.

YEA for a move to a two-day NATIONAL BOOK FAIR!  Read more from The Washington  Post!

I love this LA Times article: "A world tour of bookstore cafes".  No pictures, but there are links.

Library Journal and School Library Journal conducted an eBook survey for libraries and posted the results.

Did you know about this?  From the Huffington Post: "Super Bowl 2011: Jane Austen At The Super Bowl"  According to the article, "During Sunday's Super Bowl, the entertainment wasn't solely coming from the game. Twitter tag #JaneAustenAtTheSuperBowl had literature fans enthralled."  #toofunny!

Buzz: Books & Otherwise

There was a GREAT article from the Port Clinton News Herald on a new release called So Shelly by Ty Roth: "Although the work is considered young adult literature, Roth said he wrote it with older teenagers in mind. He believes the publisher, Random House imprint Delacorte, will market the book to a crossover audience."  The premise sounds so intriguing, and I've definitely added this one to my TBR list - it was just released on Tuesday!

The Bay Area Reporter had a review of  recently released Hidden by Tomas Mournian: "117 succinct chapters demarcate Tomas Mournian's sensitive, impressive debut Hidden, a young-adult novel about a gay youth who becomes entwined in the homeless teenager community in San Francisco."  The author also is a freelance journalist and based this story on an investigative piece he did.  The Reclusive Bibliophile also wrote a well-written review this week, "If you’re looking for a light, fluffy romance or a quick, mindless read, this is not the book for you. However, if you want to read something that is bit more unsettling and thought-provoking, give hidden a shot. I’m not sure that this is the right kind of book for a lot of people, but I think that for some people, this just might be one of the most valuable books they could read."

MTV reported yesterday that Disney start Selma Gomez will play Hannah in the film adaptation of Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why.

Perhaps I have mentioned this before?  Not sure, but here you go.  From Get the Big Picture: "CBS Films Acquires Rights for Yet to Be Published Young Adult Book Series 'Legend' I like the premise!

MTV is reporting that Panic! at the Disco's newest video is a tribute to steampunk: "Panic! At The Disco's 'The Ballad Of Mona Lisa' Video: A Steampunk Wake"

The LA Times wrote an interesting article on how ABC Family markets the TV hit, Pretty Little Liars

11 comments:

  1. This post is just so incredibly wonderful. Too much lovely. I don't know what to read first! Thank you so much for the roundup. I'm so happy I found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great literary round up! I will have to go check out that review for The Gathering as I desperately waiting for it's release.

    Also that sucks what is happening with LJ Smith. So unfair :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I am looking forward to getting my copy of So Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, thank you so much for the news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by! Glad you are enjoying it!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Tara's review of The Gathering as well, I'm really excited for that book! Definitely going to go read the article on So Shelly too, that's one I've got on my list. So much great info, thanks Linds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know who I feel about Journalist turned authors! Hadn't heard of Hidden before, but now I need it!

    And OMG! *gasps* Teens are reading more YA! Who'd da thunk?

    Thanks for making my Thursday so interesting this morning. I needed it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these posts! They are definitely something I look forward to on Thursdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the best roundups of news and good posts! I feel in the know after reading these posts. And I am SOO stoke about the NBF being 2 days now. I went this past year and it was great..two days would be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love round-up posts! Yay for posting this. I am going to check out the links stat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should definitely check out "Bruiser" when you get a chance, Linds. I think you'd really enjoy it.

    I'm also really looking forward to "So Shelly". I love when authors make allusions to classics. Looking forward how he incorporates the Romantics with contemporary teens.

    ReplyDelete