Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Top Ten Books I Wish I'd Read As a Kid


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. Participators in this meme love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time.. just post what you can!


This week: Top Ten Books I Wish I'd Read As a Kid!  My childhood was pretty richly immersed in fairy tales, but here are some ones I really wish I had read when I was 10 or younger. . .  Only six picks this week - still trying to catch up after the wedding!

Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
This book and Makeway for Ducklings (also by McCloskey) are considered classics in children picture book literature.  I first heard of this one reading a Babysitters Club book, and I became enamoured with the idea of it since I had blueberry bushes in my backyard.  The entire book is illustrated in this wonderful, dark blue ink.




The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
A wonderful tale about a little bunny testing his limits and his mother's promise of devotion.  I learned about this book after it was prominently featured in the movie Wit starring Emma Thompson.  The book will warm your heart, and the movie will break it.




A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I actually have read this book, but I was 14 at the time.  I fell madly in love with it.  Sara Crewe is an endearing character, and one I wish I had gotten to know better when I was younger - she is valor, compassion and resilience - a true heroine in the face of adversity.






Anne of Green Gables  by L.M. Montgomery
I love love the movie that has played on PBS for as long as I can remember, but true confession time: I have never read the book the whole way through **shame face**.  The bits and pieces I have read make me think that Anne would have been a true kindred spirit to have at 10 or 12.  I adored the Road to Avonlea series, through - both the books and the show.





The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo
I read this book a few years back, and I absolutely adored it!  I was so convinced that I would want to read it to my future children some day that I bought a copy for my bookshelf after returning the borrowed copy to the library.  A wonderful, adventurous tale of victory.




The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
The one somehow escaped my attention when I was kid, although I faithfully watched the movie when it played on TV every year.  I don't even think I knew it was a part of a series until I was in my teens. 

2 comments:

  1. You're BACK!!! As a married woman no less!

    Congrats Linds!

    Anne of Green Gables is the staple of my youth. I loved the Movies. And sadly, I didn't know about the books until High School, so I haven't completely read them all either. I will have to make time to do it someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    On The Tale of Desperaux: I know what you mean about new books that you wish had been around when you were younger! I put The Lightning Thief on my own list. =)

    Oh, gosh! I watched Wit, too, and had forgotten all about The Runaway Bunny. Your description of their pairing is spot on!

    ReplyDelete