Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Thursday Literary News Roundup (10)

The Thursday Literary News Roundup 


Yea!  It's back!  Sorry about the hiatus, but things have finally settled down.  The Lit News Roundup is back on track!

Blog Posts of Note:

Holy crap!  What started off as a great list by BitchMedia (100 Young Adult Books for the Feminist Reader) set off a HUGE debate in the comments section.  See, there was a small debate about some books that were included and some that weren't.  BM caved and that set off a firestorm of debate.  Check out author Tess Gratton's response: "Dear Internet, Let Me Teach You What Feminism Is".  In it, she also links to several other responses, including one from the School Library Journal.  Also, the Portland Mercury also featured this piece: "Bitch Magazine, YA Fiction, and an Irate Scott Westerfeld".  And Westerfeld's comments, ouch!  That's one stinging slap!

Holly Root from the Waxman Literary Agency had a wonderful post on ARCs: what they are, their true purpose, how they are treated, and their evolution into e-galleys.  I highly encourage you to read her thoughts and comment: "And here’s where I warp into Mayor McCranky. Because remembering from above that the goal of an ARC is to create a stronger entry for the book in the marketplace—why do we now have an ARC culture where people collect them like trading cards, or display them like spoils of war after a trade show, or go online to sell & buy them on eBay, or pass them person to person so everyone on the internet with even a passing interest has read the book two months before it even hits shelves?"

I just loved this post from Cade on Braintasia Books: 'DISCUSSION: Uneducated Criticism of YA" Then, check out this completely related post from Jen at Scribo Ergo Sum: 'The YA Dilemma'.  Also, I put in my own two cents with my post from yesterday: 'Getting the Stink Eye In the YA Section: A Humble Response'

A good post to consider from The League of Extraordinary Writers (Debut Dytopian Writers); "Gay Teens in YA Science Fiction and Fantasy': "This all got me thinking about gay teens in young adult (or middle grade) science fiction and fantasy.  Gay and lesbian kids do seem to be represented in contemporary YA fiction (at least to some extent).  For example, one of the Will Graysons in WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON is gay. The book was nominated for a Stonewall Award, which the American Library Association gives to young adult books of merit to GLBT teens.  However, I’m having trouble finding many YA / MG speculative fiction titles with gay characters." Another good one from the same blog on use of language in dystopian work: "Creating Futuristic Vocabulary"

 Live in the Portland, Oregon area and hate your Kindle?  Hehe, you have to check out this post from Book Noise: "Death To the Kindle!"

There is a great guest post and giveaway on Confessions of a Bookaholic by Daughters of Xanadu author Dori Jones Yang.

Oh, Reading with Tequila made me feel SO much better about so many things with this post: "Just Say No to Blogger Guilt". 

An absolutely well-written post from Steph Su Reads: "Discussion: A Case for Rereading"


Tina at Book Couture had a wonderful review of an Aussie release called Pictures of Lily by Paige Toon: "There were only a few main characters in this novel, because at it's heart, it is about Lily's decision. That being said, I loved the way Paige Toon used dialogue to bring the peripheral characters to life, because her descriptions were very realistic. I thought that the setting of the book, which is in Australia, is very well done and highly believable, considering that her previous books were mainly set in America. Lily is also authentically English."
Anna Reads wrote up a great review of a book I had not heard of before called The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahem: "This book was creepy mysterious. I'm talking creepy on the level of Kathy Bates in Misery. I mean, in the setting of a secluded old Irish gatehouse out in the woods near the ruins of a CASTLE, how can it not be creepy? I loved all the heebie-jeebies this mystery gave me."  Melissa from Books and Things also reviewed and said: "It's especially good if you want something a bit different than the usual contemporary to read."



Book Chic had gave a good review to another book I hadn't heard of that is slated for release in 2011. She says of Subject Seven by James A. Moore: "Wow, this was a rollercoaster ride of a book, full of suspense, mystery and action with a bit of sci-fi/futuristic thrown in. Moore's YA debut is pretty original and he handles the multiple perspectives well, though in the beginning, it can be a bit confusing (which may be the point)."


Cindy from Books Complete Me wrote a glowing review of the soon-to-be released Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton: "Ellie and Will's growing relationship kept me turning the pages well past when I should have been asleep for the night. The action scenes in Angelfire are unparalleled in YA books. Courtney gives you amazing detail of each fight that will keep you on the edge of your seat."
Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing gave a reaction to the hugely anticipated Where She Went by Gaye Forman: "I could talk your ear off  (or eyes...) about this book all day long. But, to at least appear/pretend that I know how to be concise, I'm going to leave you with the knowledge that this book is wonderfully brilliant and the perfect follow up to If I Stay."  Check out her well-written review for more!


Lauren at I Was a Teenaged Book Geek wrote up a compelling review on the upcoming UK graphic novel release Tyranny by Lesley Fairfield: "Illustrated with simple black-and-white drawings, Lesley Fairfield makes minimal use of dialogue and narration in this honest and brave exploration of eating disorders. No words are wasted, and there's much to be learnt about the way that anorexia and bulimia take hold of a person."

Words & Whispers put out a fair (and fairly positive) review of Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago: "I really loved Other Words for Love. It met my expectations completely, and yeah, I cried a lot throughout the last half of the novel. Rosenthal really knows how to portray the depth of a teenage girl's heart and the struggle to find 'true love.' The novel was completely honest and realistic and I felt every thing that Ari felt."  This just released this month.

I don't typically read MG books, but Miss Page-Turner's review of The Memory Cage by Ruth Eastham makes me want to read this one NOW: "This novel is such a precious debut because it deals with most important and high sensitive topics that must affect one. The Memory Cage encourages young teens to think about what’s important in life, to be an active part in political debates and generational exchanges."

Missie at The Unread Reader made me tear up with her review of the March 2011 release of The Piper's Son by Jellicoe Road author Melina Marchetta: "And what made me smile at the end was the lesson I took away from the book: It's really not about living with your decisions; it's living through them. Sometimes it is hard to know how to do that, and that's okay."  Argh, Missie!  (PS - check out Missie's crazy great new weekly meme "My Book Boyfriend" - you will melt, crave and applaud!)

What is this, Make Linds Anticipate Crying Day?  Liz at My Favorite Books put some buzz out on a book that I haven't heard of before.  My Sister Lives On the Mantlepiece by Annabel Pitcher sounds like it going to be an emotion-ripper: "I KNEW that reading it was going to turn me into a slobbering mess of tears and emotions and I was right. But it turned me into a sniffling girl for all the right reasons. It also made me laugh out loud. It made me want to punch a character in the book, it made me want to punch the air in victory as the story developed and I came to love the characters but most of all, it's made me talk (quietly for now) about it to everyone I've come across."

Cynthia over at A Blog About Nothing wrote a beautiful review of These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf:  It's not technically YA, but check out what Cynthia has to say, "When I figured out that it wasn't YA I immediately thought I wouldn't like it because I haven't read adult novels in quite a while, but I was wrong, because this book captured my attention from the first fifty pages."  Forever YA also reviewed was moved, as well.
Mrs. Andersen from Y.A. Love also wrote a very lovely review of The Pull of Gravity by Gae Polisner, due to be released in May: "I definitely recommend reading this.  Girls will enjoy the relationship between Jaycee and Nick.  Boys will love the Star Wars references and will easily relate to Nick."  I've had this one on my TBR list since I first read about it - can't wait!



Articles to Read:

Sadness!  The situation is Egypt is destressing to say the least, but check out this article from the UK's The Guardian: "Cairo book fair abandoned amid unrest: Biggest literary event in the Arab literary world pulled as Egypt convulsed by protests".

GalleyCat posted some great information about a new site called 'Diversity in YA Fiction: A Celebration!'  This site is the brain child of YA authors Malinda Lo and Cindy Pon, and there will be author tours in five major U.S. cities.

A wonderful article fom the Hudson Star-Observer about a high school teacher on a mission to get her students reading - she did it through an initiative called the Young Adults' Choices project.  Read on to learn about her success and the reading list she provides: "Young Adult Literature explodes with new project" by Margaret Ontl.

Lydia Kiesling from The Millions posted a great review full of nostalgia and reflection on two memoirs by Beverly Clearly.  I didn't know she wrote memoirs!

The Wall Street Journal posted a fantastic article on Worldreader.org's efforts to get subsidized e-readers to needy communities across the globe: "
In the developing world, where literacy remains a giant challenge, might digital books be able to leapfrog their print counterparts? That’s what a non-profit called Worldreader is trying to figure out with a series of trials in Ghana that involve giving students Amazon.com Kindles to read in school and at home."

Columbia University's The Record had a rather interesting piece entitled, "Social Networking in the Age of Austen, Trollope and Dickens" by Nick Owens: "Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet on Facebook? With social networking the hot topic of the day, a computer science grad student, his advisor and a literature professor teamed up to analyze social interactions in 19th century British novels."

Shelf Awareness has comprehensive coverage on the Digital Book World conference - sounds like things got heated when a certain publisher was called out by bloggers from Smart Bitches, Trashy Books over why they will not provide e-copies of books to libraries. . .

Wouldn't you just love to spend the night in either of these two hotels: Le Pavillon des Lettres in Paris and the Library Hotel in Manhattan.  Thanks to Shelf Awareness for the heads up!

This kid has one of my Top Five Dream Jobs: a literary agent (at 25 in NYC, no less) - from the New Yok Times, "A Bookworm Finds His True Calling".

It's not good when Shelf Awareness begins an article with , "Uh Oh."  Oh, did I mention the news is about Borders?  According to Bloomberg, bankruptcy may be imminent.

Lovely article from The Washington Post on the family behind the Berenstain Bears: "50 years along, Berenstain Bears a family affair".


Buzz: Books & Otherwise

Wither author Lauren DeStefano talks about writing her upcoming book, the themes and some surprises she had during the writing process.

i09 posted an excerpt of a 2010 release that I had not heard of - check it out: "Read an excerpt from teen environmental angst satire "Destroy All Cars"

Sorry, Mortal Instruments fans - it sounds like Alex Pettyfer may be starring in a different YA series film adaptation.  Up and Comers has more.  Here is an excellent article from Next Movie on the same subject that expands a bit on it: "Hey Alex, a Pettyfer Your Thoughts Regarding ‘Instruments,’ ‘Apprentice?’", and also this one from ScreenJunkies, "Alex Pettyfer Can’t Decide Between ‘Twilight’ Knock-Offs".

Awww, love this Flavorwire post: "The 10 Greatest Child Geniuses in Literature".

DreamWorks has signed up some big time voice talent for its 2012 3-D adaptation of 'Rise of the Guardians', based on upcoming books by William Joyce, creator of the children's book that inspired 'Meet the Robinsons'.

I tweeted this on Tuesday, but still find it amusing and thought I'd share: "Worst English Course Ever Teaches Twilight Book".  Join the fun discussion at the bottom!  DISCLAIMER: I enjoyed reading Twilight.  I also am a hypocrite, as I also take pleasure in bashing it a little.

If you like a book with multiple points-of-view, check out this article about the author of an upcoming April release: "Student brings first published novel to Changing Hands"  The author is Tom Leveen and the book is titled Party - not a fan of the tile, but I like the cover.

WarnerBros has optioned a YA novel to be released in Winter 2012 for film.  Check out this article about Under the Never Was Sky author V. Rossi: "Danville author's trilogy could be the next big Young Adult hit" from the Mercury News

In other book/film news, Summit Entertainment also bought rights to a YA book slated for release this August called This Dark Endeavor - check out the article from MTV.

I had no clue, but did you know that the recently released film 'From Prada to Nada' is actually based on Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility?  I hope it's as good as 'Clueless' was!  P.S. check out this great article from the Moviefone Blog: "Girls on Film: Why Is Jane Austen So Popular Today?"

Hey, you Night Huntress fans!  Jeaniene Frost has announced upcoming appearances for the release of This Side if the Grave (Night Huntress #5).  I'm totally roadtripping it to Maryland!  Also, if you missed the 10-to-10 chat she had on GoodReads this past Saturday, here's the link.  Read on in anticipation of 02.22.2011!  Oh, and the title for Book #6 was released, too!

And, in case you missed it, there were three cover reveals that people were buzzng about this week - the first one is brand new on my radar:

by Leigh Fallon 
TBR in 2011 (HarperTeen)
Also, here is a little NY Times blurb about this one, "HarperCollins will publish a young-adult book that was originally submitted on Inkpop, its Web site for teenage writing. The book, a debut novel by Leigh Fallon, a South African living in Ireland, is scheduled for release in the fall, the publisher said on Thursday."  Congrats, Leigh!



And, we also have:

by Myra McEntire
TBR on 05.24.2011

                                                       Perfect                                                       
by Ellen Hopkins
TBR on 10.13.2011

That's it for this week, kids!  More news and fun stuff to come next week!

If you have any thoughts or suggestions for The Thursday Literary New Roundup, feel free to comment or email me at bibliophile.brouhaha@gmail.com.

12 comments:

  1. Great round up! Love Missie review of The Piper's Son (it is one of my favourite books) and Missie summed it up beautifully. Will have to go check out those other reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Missie's review and can't wait to read it myself! Have fun checking out the others!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Linds, how long does this roundup take you to compile? I can't believe how much information is there! I loved Missie's review of The Piper's Son as well, and I'm off to read that review of Angelfire because I really enjoyed that one:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it takes a while, but really I really, I read all this anyway, so what's an extra 2-3 minutes to write a quick blurb and link it. I have Google alerts galore, although I think it might be easier to do a daily. . . playing with that idea a little.

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linds! Wow wow, l love this round-up, l missed it!
    Thanks! xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey that is such a fantastic roundup!Thank you a lot for mentioning my review of The Memory Cage! My review appears a lot more interesting/important when I see it quoted on your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely round up once again. That Subject Seven review definitely caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you roundups! I felt so out of the loop when you were gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why am I thinking a 13 hour drive to NOLA is totally worth it and doable to meet Jeaniene Frost? I'm a crazed fangirl.

    Linds, as always, I had a great time checking out all these articles. Very informative and freaking fascinating. But I have to tell you, I'm becoming pretty dependent on you. You're my new lit crack dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, I am so impressed by this post. How long does it take you to put these together?
    I found the discussion on the Bitchmedia list fascinating and loved Westerfeld's comments.

    I'm so happy that people are liking Where She Went. I can't wait for it. And Piper's Son and Other Words For Love are high on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, thank you sooo much for featuring my review of These Things Hidden on this post,, I'm flattered(sp? never learned how to spell that freaking word right) I am now a follower and can't believe I wasn't before, your blog ROCKS SOCKS!!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stoppng by!! Cynthia, you are more than welcome! It was a great review! Alison, ohhhh, it takes a while - hours, and then some more hours :) Very informative ones, though!

    -Linda

    ReplyDelete