Monday, January 17, 2011

Jodie from Books for Company on Great Reads from the UK!

Here's what I love about the book blogging community - when I put out my post on needing to take a break from blogging until after my wedding (five more days to go!), Jodie from Books for Company stepped right up and offered to do a guest post, which I appreciate so, so much!  We put our heads together and came up with a topic we think will be of interest to you.  So, without further ado, let's welcome Jodie to Bibliophile Brouhaha!

* * * * * * * *

Me and Linds thought as l am from the UK it would be good for me to do a post about some British authors which you may or may not have heard about!  I decided to do a range of different genres for you all: Paranormal, Romance, Chick-lit, etc!

Melanie Rose

My first author l wanted to introduce you to and thought of as soon as Linds came up with the idea of British authors was Melanie Rose. I have an interview with the lovely Melanie over at my site, check it out if you wantMelanie has three recent books out in the UK and lucky for you all has two so far out in the US (and l believe other countries too).  Melanie Rose's books really keep you, as the reader, in total suspense the whole way through her books, as well as guessing all the way through what's going to happen next. 

So l will introduce you to her books! -


This is the US cover, quite a bit different from the UK cover which you can see here. This book made me fall in love with Melanie's books, the characters in the books were some of the best characters l have 'met' and the concept is totally amazing.

Blurb :
What if you had the chance to live someone else’s life? Full of heart and soul, here is a captivating novel about the choices we make for family and love—and how sometimes a total stranger is the person we really need to be.

Jessica Taylor is walking her dog in the rain when she meets the man of her dreams—only to be struck by lightning moments later. When she wakes up in the hospital, the doctors insist she’s someone else: Lauren Richardson, wife and mother of four.

 
    Lauren’s husband wants nothing more than for life to get back to normal—complete with a well-organized house and very properly behaved children. But Lauren’s kids haven’t been allowed to have much fun, and one of them has special needs. Can Jessica embrace this family of strangers and become the wife and mother they need? As she struggles to find her way in this new life—and the way back to her old life—she reconnects with Lauren’s estranged sister and discovers a secret that could rip the family apart.
 
    Now, torn between Lauren’s responsibilities to her family and Jessica’s chance at love, one woman is about to find out whether the road not taken leads to happiness—or to heartbreak.

Her other two books are Finding Home/Coming Home (released in US) and Down to Earth (not yet released in US l believe)

Louise Douglas

My second author which l wanted to introduce you to is Louise Douglas, l read her first book 'The love of my life' in 2010 (January) and adored it! So so touching and just a remarkable written story which really grabs the emotion of the main character. I still need to read her second book and l am checking to see if she brings anymore books out. 


I miss him with every breath and heartbeat. He should have been my happy ending. Instead, he is the sad beginning to my story.' Olivia and Luca Felicone had known each other nearly all their lives, but when they fell in love as teenagers and eloped to London they broke the hearts of those closest to them. Luca's parents run Marinella's restaurant, the colourful hub of life in the otherwise bleak north-eastern seaside town of Watersford, and his mother, Angela, has never forgiven Olivia for causing such a rift in her beloved family.On a freezing January night Olivia's life is shattered when she learns that Luca has been killed in a car accident. She is left with nothing and, after suffering from weeks of overwhelming grief, she abandons her job and returns north to where Luca has been buried in Watersford. Olivia's chance meeting with Luca's married twin brother, Marc, leads to the realization that he is experiencing a loss almost as painful as her own. Their desolation draws them into an affair which both know has no future, but fills the space where Luca should be. It is a course of action that can only spiral out of control, and when it does the consequences are both explosive and cruel.

Her second book is 'Missing You'. The blurb is here .

Mia James

This third author is an author which l have not read a book by yet. I actually found her while searching for people to do this post. I love the sound of this book and isn't the cover great? I can just tell its a paranormal genre from the cover (l love paranormal books!). This was released in 2010 and you can get it from amazon (in US and UK).

April Dunne is not impressed. She's had to move from Edinburgh to Highgate, London, with her parents. She's left her friends - and her entire life - behind. She has to start at a new school and, worst of all, now she's stuck in a creepy old dump of a house which doesn't even have proper mobile phone reception. Ravenwood, her new school, is a prestigious academy for gifted (financially or academically) students - and the only place her parents could find her a place, in the middle of term, in the middle of London, on incredibly short notice. So she's stuck with the super-rich, and the super-smart . . . and trying to fit in is when the rest of the students seem to be more glamorous, smarter, or more talented than she is, is more than tough. It's intimidating and isolating, even when she finds a friend in the conspiracy-theorist Caro Jackson - and perhaps finds something more than friendship in the gorgeous, mysterious Gabriel Swift. But there's more going on at Ravenwood than meets the eye. Practical jokes on new students are normal, but when Gabriel saves her from . . . something . . . . in the Highgate Cemetery, and then she discovers that a murder took place, just yards away from where she had been standing, April has to wonder if something more sinister is going on. . . . and whether or not she's going to live through it . . .

Thank you for having me Linds! I hope you all enjoyed my post and found a new author.

* * * * * 

No, Jodie, thank you for helping a girl out!  I love the sound of By Midnight and look forward to picking it up!  Please visit Jodie's blog, Books for Company, to find out more about what she likes to read (it's a great mix)!  Oh, and may I just say that she posted pictures of her adorable non-human buddy for last week's Follow Friday - the cutest Westie ever (my favorite breed) named Alfie!!  I want to fly across the pond and scoop him up!

If you are interested in guest posting while I am a bit out of it in the blogging world, drop me a line at bibliophile.brouhaha@gmail.com - thanks!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks again Linds!
    It was great fun =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, two of those books have got my interest enough that I'm heading over to Amazon right now! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read anything from these authors before, but now I really want to! Great guest post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so I just bought Kindle editions of By Midnight and Down To Earth and have added Life As I Know It to my wishlist :))). My poor purse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen and Melissa - Thank you so much for reading this post!!!

    Melissa - Linds came up with the idea and l loved it! =)

    Karen - Yay! l hope you enjoy them. I haven't read By Midnight so l look forward to seeing what you think of you. Down to Earth is great! Life As I Know it is known as 'Could it be magic' in the UK. Enjoy!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Great post! Thanks for the reading recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read anything from these authors so thanks for putting them on my radar Jodie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you both like it and thanks Linds for the comment about my dog, he looks like an angel in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous idea for a post! I love discovering new to me authors, and now I'm dying to get my hands on The Love Of My Life.

    Thank you for this post Jodie.

    ReplyDelete