Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Thursday Literary News Roundup (6)

The Thursday Literary News Roundup 


Blog Posts of Note:

Nomes at Inkcrush has been interviewing and posting other Aussie bloggers on the best YA lit from AU.  Haven't read any Aussie YA?  You need to get on that!  Some of the best stuff out there right now!

Here's a great take on YA lit from a non-YA blogger.  Check out this post by Joelle Charbonneau over at Do Some Damage (crime fiction): "YA – is it just for young adults? Hell no."

Biggest. News. This. Month.  For Night Huntress fans, that is.  Jeaniene posted a snippet from the soon-to-be-released This Side of the Grave on the Frost Fans blog!!  Oh!  Shivers!

Are you on the fence about getting an e-reader?  P.J. Grath at Books in Northport wrote a great post about the environmental threat they pose.  Included in the post are links to quite a few good articles.

Okay, I missed this the first time around, but remember when the whole James Frey book factory news first broke?  I linked to a blog post on Andrea Cremer's reaction to it, but completely missed Gayle Forman's blog post on it, and man, I love an author who doesn't mince words. Rock on, Gayle.  P.S. also be sure to check out her recent 'rant' post on wwword.com on writing in 'teen speak'.

YA Highway reports that Kody Kleplinger's sold a new book entitled Luststruck to Poppy - should be available in Fall 2011!  Congrats, Kody!  Click here to learn more!  P.S. - the Highway is having a rather rad Winter Giveaway that you should check out, too!

Missie at The Unread Reader posted a fabulous interview with Shades of Atlantis author Carol Oates - there's also a giveaway - deadline is this Friday!

Hey, book lovers, want to help build a library in Malawi?  Julie Kenner, author of the Demon Hunter Soccer Mom series is helping with effort - click here to find out how you can help and win some books!





Savy over at Books with Bite wrote this fantastic review of a first book in a new vampire series: The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire #1).  I've been straying a bit from paranormal recently, but her review is so glowing that this one went straight on my TBR list!






 Jenny at Supernatural Snark has the most amazing reviews - do check this one on Shadow Hills by Amanda Hopcus out.  It's the start of another great series!  Jenny says, "Shadow Hills is fairly typical with regard to the teenage relationship, but Ms. Hopcus has carved out a unique niche in the paranormal aspect of her world and filled it with tier after tier of unique possibilities supported by a solid base of main and secondary characters."




Haha, oh gawd, Poshdeluxe at Forever Young Adult did it again,  Check out this refreshing take on Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.  It'll have you dying from laughter: "you’re what the french call les incompetents."  Here's a sampling of the verbal goodness: "on the Scale of Parental Suck, i would say that sending a teenager to boarding school in paris ranks around, ooh, a big fat zero because WHO WOULD SAY NO TO BOARDING SCHOOL IN PARIS? C’EST MAGNIFIQUE. well, apparently, anna disagrees with me, because she is severely pissed. . . "  Check out the rest!  Hilarious. 





Julia from That Hapa Chick wrote a lovely review on Delirium by Lauren Oliver: "Lauren Oliver's writing is pure genius. She is able to conjure's up the most gorgeous imagery with just a few words. If anything you should read this book just because the prose is such perfection."





The lovely ladies at The Book Smugglers posted a fantastic review of Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John.  So say the Smugglers: "And Five Flavors of Dumb is really, REALLY good, surprisingly so – even though I heard nothing but praise for the book, I still didn’t expect it to be this good."








Alissa at The Grammarian's Review posted a wonderful review of Adios, Nirvana by Conrad Wesselhoeft: "Cannot express how much I enjoyed this book. It’s a whirlwind of good characters, descriptions, and writing.



Okay, I know I go on and on about the amazingness that is Kirsty Eagar, but this week, Spellbound by Books agreed with me in her review on Raw Blue: "I'm completely blown away.  Kirsty just has that secret knack for capturing Australia's natural beauty and really drawing the reader in."




 So, I am already chomping at the bit to read Wither by Lauren DeStefano, but lucky Looksie Lovitz snagged a copy and reviewed it!  Here's a blurb: "This book was nothing short of fabulous. By the time I finished, I wanted go go back an re-read it. I read the book in one sitting because I couldn't put it down!"  Ah, the agony!!  It releases 03.22.2011.



Jennifer M. Brown reviewed the soon-to-be released Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers for Shelf Awareness.  She calls it, "A riveting journey."  This is on my 'must-read' list - it hits the shelves on 12.21.2010 and might just have one of the most haunting book trailers I've ever seen. . . .


Articles to Read:

Have any of you heard about this Domino Project?  It's a new publishing venture by author Seth Godin and powered by Amazon.  On his blog, Seth says, "The middleman (the bookstore) has a great deal of power. There’s only a limited amount of shelf space, and there are more books (far more books) than we have room for. No display, no sale."  Honestly, the concept is interesting, but I rather like my local bookstore. .  . I am not sure how I feel about it.  The initial information doesn't feel concrete enough to make a judgement call on, but I think it's something important to keep an eye on for news.  Here's a decent article that discusses it more.

Great article from The Globe and Mail in Canada: "How the rise of e-readers takes the fun out of giving book"   Here's an op-ed piece from the LA Times to go with it: "Why print survives."

Great story (print and audio) from NPR reporter Lynn Neary about indie book stores: "End Of Days For Bookstores? Not If They Can Help It".

The New York Times reports that Apple added, " more than 100 titles to its iBookstore, an assortment of children’s books, photography books and cookbooks."

WebEcoist just wrote an article on the most freaking awesome thing I've ever seen!  Check it out: Apt Adaptation: 10 Cool Converted Bookstores.  Converted sites include an amazing old church, theaters, a funeral home. . . it's amazing!

Somebody at the LA Times has a sense of humor.  Check out this article on the new BookScan option from Amazon: "Get the Xanax ready': Authors respond to BookScan on Amazon"

Hey German Vampire fans, got True Blood?  You will soon!  Check out this article from Variety

The Electronic Frontier Foundation updated their E-Book Buyer's Guide to E-Book Privacy.

Flavorwire put this informative offering out: 5 Forgotten Literary Vampires


Buzz: Books & Otherwise

The American Library Associations shorlisted the books nominated for the 2011 William C. Morris Award.  They are:“Hush” by Eishes Chayil (I'm reading this now), “Guardian of the Dead” by Karen Healey,  “Hold Me Closer, Necromancer” by Lish McBride, “Crossing the Tracks” by Barbara Stuber, “The Freak Observer” by Blythe Woolston.

Check out this fabulous idea: Book Blogging Karma Project - get points and earn prizes just for being good to your fellow book bloggers!  I just signed up!

You may have noticed that I am big on more Aussie lit being in the US.  There is a Aussie YA Reading Challenge being hosted by Nic at Irresistible Reads and Nomes at Inkcrush.   The goal for non-Aussies is six books in the year 2011.  I highly encourage you to sign up.  I am and will complete the challenge via e-reader (international shipping =  fail).

Love Jane Austen and want to put your writing chops to the test?  Check out this short story contest being offered by The Republic of Pemberly: Jane Austen Made Me Do It Short Story Contest  

Great review from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on a book I hadn't hear of before: You Are Not Here by Samantha SchutzCheck out GoodReads reviews on it. 

Amazon announced that details for its fourth annual Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award.  There is a young adult category.

Oh, tear! MTV reports that Dakota Fanning will not play Mia in the film adaptation of If I Stay.  I always thought a younger version of Anne Hathaway would be perfect. .  . Emma Roberts, perhaps?

However, the beautiful Taylor Lautner will star in the upcoming film version of Incarceration by Catherine Fisher.  The 18 year-old may also produce the project.  Smart guy.

Cate Blanchett will grace the screen again as Galadriel in the upcoming film version of The Hobbit.

The first film from The Hunger Games trilogy is scheduled to hit theaters in 2012.  Here's Suzanne Collins' views on it from Entertainment Weekly.

EW's Shelf Life also reports that more books will be added to Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series.

I was a little late on this one, but here is the second trailer for the film adaptation of I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (pen name of Jobie Hughes and James Frey)


That's it for this week, kids!  More news and fun stuff to come next week!

If you have any thoughts or suggestions for The Thursday Literary New Roundup, feel free to comment or email me at bibliophile.brouhaha@gmail.com.

8 comments:

  1. Holy buckets! That's a lot of awesome. Love the Lit News Roundup. :D

    Thanks for linking my review too! Wither is def a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great roundup as usual. Loved Shadow Hill review by Jenny @ Supernatural Snark. I also am enjoying Nomes Aussie YA special.

    Thank you for mentioning Aussie YA Reading Challenge. I hope you win a book or two along the way so you won't to have read them all on your ereader :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all this news! I totally look forward to it in the morning. I had no idea Taylor was going to produce it. And the Hunger Games hitting theaters in 2012, *squeal* Super excited! Also some great reviews by other bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning! Glad all of you like the roundup!

    And Looksie, welcome to the blog - LOVED your review and I am insanely jealous that you've read it ;)

    Nic, I am ridiculously excited for the challenge - I think reading Raw Blue has started an obsession. . .

    Savy, always a pleasure to have you here! I am muy excited for The Hunger Games movie, too!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  5. The I Am Number Four trailers are killing me with awesomeness! I also have to say I am really really really disappointed in Taylor Lautner as Finn. Sorry, twihards :/

    Great news post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *be's mind blown* *bows down to you*

    I totally missed that Gayle Forman rant! Thank you for linking it. I love that woman! And I'm actually glad Fanning will not be Mia. JS.

    You're my hero! Of course I'm up for that Aussie challenge. I didn't know about it! Also, loved the 5 Forgotten Literary Vampires article.

    @Melissa, I freaking hate the idea of Taylor Lautner as Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Melissa Confession: I haven't read Incarceration *bows head in shame*. Sounds like an excellent read, though, and I have added it to my TBR list - actually learned about through compiling items for the roundup.

    @Missie - hahahahaha, oh man, that Gayle Forman piece had me crying! esp., the one on Frey. I almost put in the second paragraph sentence as a teaser, but really, it was too good to spoil.

    Yea for the Aussie YA Lit Challenge! I heart global love :)

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the shout out! or should i say, MERCI BEAUCOUP.

    ReplyDelete