Thursday, December 2, 2010

Guest Blog at The World of Book Reviews!

Barbara'sButton

Babs at The World of Book Reviews recently sent out a request for YA readers and bloggers to do a guest blog at her place.  Well, of course, I like to help my fellow bloggers out!  Babs predominantly writes reviews on mystery books, so it was a bit intimidating to tell Lovers of Sherlock Holmes & Co. why I love YA.  Check out my post and see if you agree. Some book suggestions are added at the end to introduce her readers to the glories of the forever young world!

Building off that, why do you love YA and what suggestions would you have for adult readers who want to try the genre?  Leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I've tried thinking about why I love reading YA. The best answer I've come up with is because it's more innocent. The romance is sweet and everything hinges on that one perfect kiss where you can cheer at the end and imagine a happily ever after.

    The characters are young and discovering so many things for the first time. They're not jaded or worn down by life. They also have fewer responsibilities than adults, and, really, I don't want to come home from work and read about a character working at their job. That's usually why when I read adult fic, I prefer things like historical fiction where the characters tend not to work much, or if they do, their job is nothing like what we have now.

    If I were going to suggest YA to an adult, hm, well, it would depend on the adult and where their interests lie. For some I'd recommend Harry Potter. Others, maybe Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. I recently read The Adoration of Jenna Fox, and in a lot of ways I think that one holds a ton of appeal for adults who are looking for a book that will make them think and question. I also very much enjoyed Sharon Shinn's The Truth-teller's Tale, which I think in a lot of ways transcends the YA age bracket.

    Congrats on your guest post! It was fun reading why you read YA. I always wonder, do lovers of other genres have to defend their reading choices as much as us adult YA lovers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, SR! I do feel like I have to defend my reading choices sometimes, but I find so much more emotion in YA sometimes than I do adult lit (one girl asked me this why she was holding a book by Lauren Conrad - 'nuff said).

    I don't like reading about the depressing things that adults do to each other in everyday life - someone is always cheating on someone, the kids get hurt, etc. Even if the book is super sad, and I become a short-term emotional wreck, I'd rather read that because there is hope and this sense that things will get better.

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete