Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day Spotlight: Operation Paperback

Hello Everyone!  In honor of Veterans Day, I wanted to take a moment and share with you a nonprofit organization very dear to my heart: Operation Paperback.  This organization has been helping supply U.S. servicemen and servicewomen with books and other reading materials since 1999.  Here are some quick facts:


*1.1 million+ books shipped overseas; 235,163 books in 2009 alone
*8,900+ individuals, community organizations and businesses from every state in the Nation form our *volunteer shipper network
*30+ different countries as part of our locations served
*100% of monetary donations go towards the purchase and shipment of books overseas
*Tagline: Giving our troops the opportunity to escape into a good book since 1999. 


I am a volunteer shipper for Operation Paperback and currently am hosting a book drive at my workplace. I will post pictures once I am ready to ship.  I am very excited to do something for our troops that also is so close to my own passion!  I hope you will consider joining me in this effort - I'm sure many of us have an extra book or two lying around, eh?  And the troops truly appreciate it:

"I just received my box of books and wanted to tell you I am very grateful. I am an avid reader, and to relax my mind, I love to escape in a good book. I appreciate you taking the time to gather the books and mail them to me. Thank you. "
Kecia A. (Overseas), Left on 11/09/2010

"Thank you. I truly appreciate the books and I'm sure everyone else will too. We are very limited in entertainment since we are in a really small fob. Our internet and phones don't have the best connections, so we have to find other means of entertaining ourselves in our off time. There is nothing better than reading a book. Thank you all for your support."
Jesus G. (Overseas), Left on 11/09/2010

"I received your shipment of books today (8 Oct 10). I'm very grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to package up those books for me and my Soldiers. The selection is great! Thanks for keeping us in your prayers and thanks to your son and nephew for what they've done in support of this great nation. God speed! And again, thanks for such a great selection. "
Yolanda H. (Overseas), Left on 11/09/2010

"I want to let you know that I received the books and I want to thank you for them. I really enjoy reading a book to take me away from this desert. On a personal note; My husband and I are both in the Army and we even though we spend so much time apart, we love our jobs. I am proud to serve our great nation and people like you make everything worth it. Thank you. "
Yadira N. SPC (Middle East), Left on 11/09/2010

"Thank you so much for the books. I have been overwhelmed by your generosity and am now having to store books under my bed, and find new homes for them with my fellow service members. "
James G (Iraq), Left on 11/02/2010

For more information please visit, http://www.operationpaperback.org/.   

UPDATE: Since originally posting, Operation Paperback has sent word that they are now partnered with Blue Star Families, so they now have tons of requests for new/like new children's books.  Here's what OP says:

"We are thanking military families (including children of wounded warriors) by providing them with a FREE shipment of books!

We need volunteers to collect and ship books for children of all ages, as well as fiction for spouses.

Since we launched this program on Monday, we have over 250 families waiting for books!  We also have two events next month at Sam Houston and Walter Reed to provide books to children of wounded warriors.

So Chrissy and I really need your help!!  Please sign up for our Family Special Request team using the link below.  We'll then contact you individually with addresses for the families.

http://www.operationpaperback.org/family_volunteers.php"

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fabulous organization! Thanks so much for bringing them to my attention, I will definitely be checking out their website for more information. I know books often make my day, so I would love to help make the day of someone who's serving by sending them some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Jenny! Please spread the word! It doesn't take a lot to do, and it means so much to them!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post. My bookshelves are overflowing. I'll be looking at this website!

    ReplyDelete