Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Top Ten Villains, Criminals and Degenerates

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. Participators in this meme love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time..just post what you can!

1.  Bob Ewell - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I don't think a more despicable character has ever been written.  He probably wouldn't have been quite so awful if the type of person he represented wasn't quite so true-to-life.

2.  Aunt Sarah Reed - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I could not imagine taking a small, bereft child into my home only to emotionally abuse and neglect her. 


3. Heathcliff - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
This is the guy who threatened to drink his rival's blood, and he's no vampire.

4.  Fred - The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
This piece of work participated in an absolutely fascist regime, cheated on his wife, and took advantage of his female servant.  Bastard.

5. Mickey - From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris
An absolutely brutal power monger and abuser. 

6.  Efron Bane from Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Ewwwwwwww, there is a special place in hell for this one.  I don't want to give it completely away if you haven't read it,  but let's just say he makes #4 look tame.  Total horrible slimball who takes advantage of underage girls.

7.  Mrs Coulter - His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
Ummm, she basically tried to steal the souls of children.  Not cool.  

8.  Peter Pettigrew - Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
He might have been the weak link, but it was link that caused at least three to lose their lives and affected so many others.

9. Bellatrix Lestrange - Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
This is one crazy beeyotch.  A truly evil sadist.  Plus three to Mrs. Weasley for ridding the literary world of her.  

10.  Voldemort - Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Need I say why?  The man was a literary Hitler, for crying out loud!  Evil, just pure evil.

12 comments:

  1. Peter Pettigrew is such a pathetic character, I love that he's on your list! He's not evil, just cowardly and self-serving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob Ewell is definitely a great choice and one I didn't think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Heathcliffe. I can see where you're coming from, but I think he's largely misunderstood.

    I don't even remember a character named Peter Pettigrew in the HP series. I guess that shows how much of an impact he left on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list here! So on the money with Bob Ewell and Aunt Reed...oh they were both horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hi5* Bellatrix made my list, too. She was such a psychopath, and such an insane believer in Voldemort. SCARY.

    Is it bad that I've read all the Sookie books and cannot remember for the life of me who Mickey is? That's why I couldn't put one of Harris' book villains on my list, I couldn't remember any of them u.u

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great List! I almost included Bellatrix on mine as well, but I didn't want to anger her...

    Good call on Aunt Sarah Reed as well. Wish I had thought of/remembered to include her.

    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha I love that you put Peter and bellatrix I thought about her. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone - Peter may not be evil, and nor is Heathcliff, but both are despicable for their treatment of others. Although, Heathcliff - you hoped for the good in him to come out!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had Bob Ewell, too. Awful man. All my other villains were from fantasy books.
    -Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting how many similar names crop up on everyone's list and then someone will put up a different character, like you did with Peter Pettigrew and suddenly you look at the book in a new light and start thinking about the characters in different ways. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree about Heathcliff. I thought he was pure evil.

    Mrs Coulter is another great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Harry Potter had so many baddies. Perhaps that's why so many people like it so much.

    I'm a new follower!

    Here's my Top Ten Baddies List.

    I hope you will also stop by my blog, Readerbuzz, and enter to win A TRIP TO PARIS or a $25 AMAZON GIFT CERTIFICATE!

    ReplyDelete