Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Top Ten Most Unfortunate Character Names

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers will be posted. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. If you can't come up with ten, don't worry about it---post as many as you can!


Next week's topic is:  Top Ten Villains, Criminals and Degenerates. To see a list of future topics through January go here.




1. Dicey Tillerman, The Tillerman Family Series by Cynthia Voight.
 According to a character later in the series, Dicey is a , "good, old Southern name." This poor girl was doomed to bad times - the name forewarned everything. 

2. Prince Humperdinck, The Princess Bride by William Goldman
I don't have to explain this one, right?  Okay, cool, thanks.

3. Soda Pop, The Outsiders by S.E.Hinton
This nickname is no nickname.  The parents actually named him that.  Yup, I thought that, too.  You're not alone.

4. Miggery "Mig" Sow, The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiMillo
Great name that fit the character, but oh boy, I'm glad I'm not her.

5. Humbert Humbert, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
I don't get it.  I just don't get it, and I don't want to.

6. Tea Cake, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Thurston
Love the book.  Can't stand the name.

7. Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Mmmmmm, nope, nope, I just can't take them.  Not at all.  "Hellooooooo, my name is Kl-OW-sssss."

8. Miss Havisham, Great Expectaions by Charles Dickens
I'd be angry spiteful wench, too, if I had that name.

9. Agatha Trunchbull, Matilda by Roald Dahl
Ditto for her.

10. Sookie Stackhouse, The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris
It doesn't matter that she freaks people out with her telepathy.  Kids still would mock her for the name.  Soooooo-kuuuuuuuh!!!

9 comments:

  1. Agatha Trunchbull is an excellent choice! Ugh...and same for Prince Humperdinck, just awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I forgot Soda Pop and Pony boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about Prince Humperdink. It's a ridculous name, but he is a ridiculous character. I've also seen poor Sookie and Sodapop on other lists too. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe, I have no idea where Hinton got those names!! Wonderful books, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Humperdinck! LOL... I love that book, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agatha just doesn't work for anyone, does it?


    Mine is here:
    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/11/nearly-ten-most-unfortunate-character.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prince Humperdink!! ROFL. I absolutely love that movie, but unfortunately haven't read the book yet. I'm working on it. ;) I can't believe I forgot about that character from "Matilda", that's my favorite Dahl book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matilda is my favorite Dahl book, too. Oh, and Prince H's name. he had no chance to be anything other than lame, poor guy!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ever since Jersey Shore came out if I see Sookie's name i just automatically call her SNookie. And I totally agree about Miggery sow. Poor girl, the fact that they made her really ugly and stupid is just an insult to injury

    ReplyDelete