Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Top Ten Holiday Books

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. Participators in this meme love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time.. just post what you can!



1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Classics are classics for a reason, no?

2. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
Adore this.  I swear, I can still hear the bell. 

3. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus by Francis Church
Technically not a book, but an actual letter that was written by New York City newspaper man in response to a little girl's question in 1897.  It endures until this day as a cherished part of the U.S. collective holiday memory.

4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
This is my favorite book of all time, but there are some beautifully poignant holiday scenes that I love to read at this time of year - the sort of book that makes you reflect and count your blessings.

5. The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson

It breaks my heart every time I read it, but I love it this beautiful story.

 6. A Child’s Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas
"It snowed last year, too. I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea."  Cracks me up, every single time.

7. Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris
Because the holidays can be stressful - unwind with a good laugh and a stiff drink with this one. 

8. A Christmas Memory, by Truman Capote
Beautiful - helps with the true meaning of Christmas.  

9. The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry 

Ditto for this one - an enduring classic. 

10. (Luke 2:1-20), The Holy Bible
I'm Christian, so for me, Christmas is not complete without this.




5 comments:

  1. Brilliant list. Absolutely my favorite. I also love Linus' speech.

    Here is my list of 10 Books to Read During the Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list (my comment)
    1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
    (On my list. I need to reread)

    2. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
    (On my list. Love the movie, too)

    3. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus by Francis Church
    (On my list, too, but I have a different author. Oh-oh, I'd better check.)

    4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
    (I love this book, too, but forgot it had such a lovely Christmas story within)

    5. The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson (Yes, very sad story)

    6. A Child’s Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas
    (I'm going to check this out. Funny!)

    7. Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris
    (I hadn't even heard of this one before)

    8. A Christmas Memory, by Truman Capote
    (On my list, too. So well written. I can really picture the story.)

    9. The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
    (Oh dear, I meant to add this but forgot)

    10. Matthew 1:18-25,. The Holy Bible
    (I chose the Luke version. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dickens is doing well well today. That book is such a cozy classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gift of the Magi is such an awesome classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME list! I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, too. I'd forgotten about the holiday scenes.

    ReplyDelete