Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Thursday Literary News Roundup (1)

I am going to start making this a weekly thing - just posting some news and information that I found pertinent and interesting from the the previous week - enjoy!

* * * * * *


The Thursday Literary News Roundup

Blog Posts of Note:


The Story Siren wrote a fantastic review of the recently released book Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King.  Looks like a great read and the Siren was really moved!













Cody over at YA Highway wrote a fabulous review of Jane by April Linder.  I'm not usually into classical rewrites, but Cody's review may change my mind!






Ana over at The Book Smugglers reviewed Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith and gave it flying colors (sorry, had to).  If you like historical fiction, check it out!






Okay, shameless self-promotion here, but Gayle Forman tweeted and facebooked my open letter to her on my reaction to If I Stay.  I cannot begin to tell you how much that meant to me!  Thank you so much, Gayle.  I am so looking forward to Where She Went




Vee over at Musty Pages posted a review on Girl Next Door by Alyssa Brugman - not paranormal, but looks like such a good solid read with commentary on class and some good wit from the protagonist.









Articles to Read:

FAV OF THE WEEK: This thrills me to bits and pieces, but Madeline L'Engle's Camilla Dickinson is being made into a film according to The Hollywood Reporter.  Could be good, bad or ugly, but I am so happy this author is getting some film industry spotlight!
* * *

NPR reports on the movement to get Quidditch added to the NCAA: "A Muggle's Dream: Quidditch As A NCAA Sport"
* * *

PcWorld wrote a very interesting article on "5 Reason You Don't Need an E-book Reader".  Intriqugi and food worth some thought! I think something very much worth thinking about is their assertion that e-book readers are not that eco-friendly. 
* * *

Great article from the Chicago Tribune on Andrea Cremer: "Notes on 'Nightshade': Werewolves and women's power" by Julia Keller.
* * * 

In the Sunday Book Review in the New York Times, children's books based off of Grimm's Fairy Tales go under the microscope: "When stories had sharp teeth" by Marjorie Ingall.  A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz is particularly noted.  There is also a recent review of over at The Bibliophilic Book Blog.

* * *

Great interview with the director of the The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo on what makes the Millennium Trilogy click with audiences.  I did feel like the journalist took a small dig at Harry Potter in the first paragraph, though - boo.
* * *

Variety reported that an Edgar Allen Poe short story is to be turned into a film directed by Paranormal Activity director Oren Peli.  Film is entitled Eliza Graves - the description makes me think this will have the same tone as Shutter Island!
 * * * 
Flavorwire posted its "10 Essential Books from the Last 25 Years"on their website - great picks!

* * *

Amazon posted its Top 10 Young Adult Books of 2010 - check it out - what do you think?
* * *


The New York Public Library hosted and posted a discussion about YA publishing called Reflections on YA.  Included were educators and publishing industry editors.  Unfortunately, no actual young adults seemed to be involved.


2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love round-ups (and I'm on this one, which makes it even better, haha :)). And I love open letters too, so I'll have to check that out as soon as I'm done commenting on this post.

    The articles you linked to look awesome. I'm esp interested in checking out the Nightshade link. Looks like an interesting article.

    And, final sad note, that book on Amazon is disgusting...Just. Wrong on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I have been thinking about doing a meme on book stuff. I might start it off next year. Well see.

    ReplyDelete