Friday, November 12, 2010

Book Blogger Hop and Follow Friday! Put your right hand in. . .


The hop is hosted by http://www.crazy-for-books.com/. Check out Jennifer's blog to sign up and start hopping!  This week's question: 
This week's question comes from Christina who blogs at All About YA Books:
"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"

I try, but a few times I've accidentally picked up the books out of order.  I actually did that with the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost.  I ran into the library and scanned the recent returns and picked up the fourth one on a whim - turned out to be one of he best things I ever did, because I got hooked on the series and it is now a favorite of mine.  I loved the fourth one so much that I got the first three the very next day.  And I completely devoured them within 48 hours. 
I'm sure you know the feeling.





Also, today is Follow Friday with Rachel's blog, Parajunkee's ViewThis week's question: 
 

"What is your usual monthly book budget?"

Yes, creepy.  But oddly familiar, no?

Now, really, who can put a price on happiness?

I jest!  Maybe.  Truth is, I am pretty good about how much I spend.  I live beside a Borders and get my 'must-have-it' books there.  I live right by the library I used to work at (where I have CO-NEC-TIONS, baby), and I also frequent a close and amazingly up-to-date used bookstore.  So, I've never had or needed a budget.

My fiance attempted to bring up the idea of a book budget once (poor guy - he knows not what he wroughts).  He was looking at my pile of paranormal romance books one day and remarked that there was an 'awful lot' of them.  I told him that one of my books was more cost effective than one of his fancy cigars.  He snorted in disbelief, so I turned my book so he could see the eight dollar price posted there.  He just looked and said, "I stand corrected."  He's never brought up a book budget again.

I have a good, good man.
 

18 comments:

  1. Hey =)

    I'm stopping by from the Book Blog Hop

    and I'm a new Follower!

    Cool Blog!

    Have a wonderful weekend & Happy Reading!

    Larissa
    Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stopping by on the hop :) Im a new follower
    www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopped in to say hi and am a follower. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. joining you from over at the book blogger hop, nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping by! Happy Friday to you and your fiance!! Oh- my budget = sad, but I always start at the beginning!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY! Hooray for Cat and Bones. I LOVE that series as well. It dubbed Ms. Frost my favorite author. Also, no book budget. Just a disorder! LOL, seriously, I spend whatever I want as long as my bills are paid first. Whatever is left over is free game. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahhaha - don't let anyone stop you from your Paranormal Romances. :) honestly, it's true though. Those cheap paperbacks are less expensive than going to the movies for a few hours or going out to eat, or pretty much anything else. And.. you can read them again :)

    popping by from Follow Friday and I am a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! I love your answers, my hubs gives my book stack the wonky eye every now and then and I just stare back daring him to comment:) I'm an old follower, I just wanted to say hi and Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I'm your newest follower; just stopping by on the hop to wish you a great weekend!

    Hehe who can put a price on happiness? I have to unfortunately keep mine under $100. *sigh*

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads (Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi There!
    I've followed you here from the blogger hop! I'm one of your new followers. I love the comments you made about a book budget! If my husband comments on a new book in the house I usually ask him if he was not listening when I told him of my wonderful find. He drops the subject completely :) Poor man - living in a house of females - surrounded by estrogen.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Everyone! Thanks for stopping by! I will swing by your place in just a second :)

    @Savannah YES!! I can't get enough of Bones, although I love me some Vlad, too! How excited are you that he's getting his own series?!?!

    @Barb, Jenny, Sarah, Carmel and Co. Oh yes, smart men who know not to mess with our books are awesome. And very, very wise!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can dive right into the middle of a book series if the series' story
    doesn't run chronologically.

    That is to say, if each novel in a series is a stand-alone story (like Lee
    Child's Reacher novels) then I don't feel the need to start with book one.

    On the other hand, a series of books (like Richard Hatch's Battlestar
    Galactica novels) can't be read out of sequence since each new book builds
    upon the story of the previous entry in the series.

    Happy Book Blogger Hop Friday!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm visiting from the Hop, as well.

    I have to admit the name of your blog made me hop over here, but your actual blog made me stay awhile.

    Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wanted to say hi. Please stop by and say hi do my poll and giveaway for books.
    Depends on how many are in the stories and if they are in the same stories and stand alone otherwise no I spend about 50 a month on books
    Thanks
    LORA1967
    http://readforyourfuture.blogspot.com/
    chaarmedone1512@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Just hopping around to say hi this is my first blog hop. I do books sometimes but right now I'm giving away a really nice pair of Bushnell binoculars. Really. Come on over and hi high and check out my site. Refer your hubby boyfriend or just your friend that hunt. I always start with the first one in a series.
    Thanks This is fun
    Broncomax93
    http://hillbillyhunter.blogspot.com/
    Bronchomax93@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I dropped by to thank you for the follow and got so busy reading your post on "Operation Paperback" that I almost forgot to do what I came here for! I've enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi
    Just hopping by. I wish my husband was as understanding as your fiance :)


    shelleyrae @ www.bookdout.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the little comment about your fiance.
    You seem to have a good place to live right next to all the bookish stores.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete