Thursday, October 14, 2010

Friends Don't Let Friends Go Sans Fang

I used to have the perfect job for a book lover.  By Buddha, I worked at a LIBRARY!  Not only did I expand my personal bedside/bathtub library by about 30 books, but as an employee, I incurred NO FINES!  The unsexy thing was that this was a 'bonus' job.  By 'bonus', I mean 'second' job.  Otherwise known as a 'I gotta pay back my student loans' job.  Go me.

Thankfully, I was able to eventually find a main gig that allowed me not to need a second job, but I still love my ladies at the lib.  They let me wander into the back circulation room and dig through the returned books before they get shelved.  I ran in five minutes before closing one night and found true love.

Have you ever heard of the Night Huntress series?  If you are into paranormal stuff, there's a decent chance you have; but if you've been wanting to read about sexy, forbidden fanged creatures and the whole Twilight mania has deterred you, then, Oh my Bones, do you need to go and pick these books up!  I've read other vamp series.  Some have been flighty, others are entertaining enough to satisfy boredom, but there is no real meat, if you know what I mean.  The author, Jeaniene Frost, has given me a satisfactory literary charge with amazingly well-paced action, superb characterization and an actual narrative in every book.  The vamps are centuries old, but they and the books are completely contemporary.  Everything simply clicks in these books.  Do you know how hard that is to find that on the paranormal romance shelves in today's market? 

Ms. Frost writes descriptively, and in certain scenes, it's damn graphic.  You might cringe at that during the violent scenes, but oh wow, you will write her a personal thank you for the way she writes the love scenes.  She puts the same time and attention into each passage, and it's always just enough, never too much.  Her pacing is perfect.  Trust me, you will not be counting how many pages you have until the chapter ends.   
Wish I had her wardrobe. . .

and the motorcycle, too!

Give the first two a shot: Madam Frost has the first 20% of Halfway to the Grave and One Foot in the Grave available on her website.  If you like the hot and steamy, you will thank her for Chapter 32 of One Foot in the Grave alone - a true Chapter of Infamy amongst her fans, but in a very, very good way.

As Bones said, "Love to give it my best shot. Let me tell you just how I would do it. . . " 

8 comments:

  1. I loved this series! I can't wait for the next on to come out. I find Bones to be a nice step away from your typical Edward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, a step away from Edward? Oh man, Bones would wipe the floor with Edward. A gentleman in the classic sense of the word Bones is not!

    But he is rather noble :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! This is Amanda, the new security officer at the downtown RMU building. Thanks so much for recommending this book. OMG. I read the first 3 chapters for free that night, and downloaded the rest for my kindle the following day. I'm almost finished, and going to have to start book 2 very soon. I want so badly to skip ahead to chpt. 32... I'm going to wait for it though!

    I mean, really, its literary crack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHA!!! Welcome to my obsession!!! You must catch up before Feb. 22 - it's when the new book comes out!

    No, no, it's not crack; Twilight is crack. These books are some high shelf liquor, at least ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so I finished book 2, and I'm halfway through book 3.

    CHAPTER 32 JUST ABOUT KILLED ME. in a good way.

    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! Glad to share the love!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh lord. well, I've finished all of the night huntress books, and even the 2 "crimson" spin off books. I seriously can't wait for the next one!

    any more suggestions to get me through until then?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh pants, that's a tough one! I really enjoy Katie MacAlister's Dragon Sept series (start with the Aisling Gray books), but it may be best to look to Jeaniene on this one. If you look at my most recent Thursday News Roundup (home page, two posts down), she is the first 'Blog Post of Note'. She recently listed her top 10 most influential books - hope this helps and glad you enjoy my mutual obsession!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete